Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

Since the IRS notified you that your wife's ITIN renewal is processed, you should be able to Efile your 2021 tax return.

If your Efile is rejected for the ITIN, you may have to mail in your return, though.  You don't need to include a Form W-7 since you were told that the renewal has been processed. 

Click this link for more info on Renewing ITIN's.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mugunthan_16
Returning Member

Thank you Marilyn. I wanted to say that my wife's ITIN 'is being processed' and not 'is processed'. My phone's auto correct messed it up. Should I still go ahead and file my taxes with out a new W-7? Thank you!

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes. You do not need a new W-7 if your wife's ITIN is being processed by the IRS.  You may mail your tax return now and it should not delay any processes since it will take some time for them to enter your tax return as well.

@mugunthan_16

[Edited: 03/29/2022 | 12:51p PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Just a follow up question:

I filed my 2021tax return on 2/5/2022.

Also applied for spouse and dependent son's ITINs.

IRS assigned ITIN for my spouse within 6 weeks, but rejected my son's w7 application due to typo error on my SSN.

What happens to the Tax returns? Will they still process or keep it in hold? What happens to it if I decide not to send new W7 application for my son?

Thanks in advance.

You can resubmit your dependent's ITIN application within the date mentioned in the rejection letter. 

IRS will process the tax return without your dependent information. 

You can file an amendment after you get ITIN for your dependent to include the dependent.

SAG19695

Hey,

I am in the same situation, but i have received the ITIN letter with the number on it and its been more than 2 months and haven't received the tax return yet. Can you please let me know how much months it took for you after receiving the ITIN?? 

Appreciate your help. 

Hi 

it’s going to take at least six months since you file. I filed in 5th February 2022. They assigned ITIN for my spouse in 3rd week of March. I am still waiting for my refund. Good news is that I am able to track it on refund status check since a week. That says it is still in processing. Hopefully, it will complete refund by the end of this month. 
so, you can expect at least six months if everything is okay with your return or longer if your return is incorrect.

Hope that helps.

@shyamsah @SAG19695 - paper filed returns appear to be taking 6-9 months from the time you filed until they are processed.  They IRS processes returns in the order received and are woefully backlogged.  They are working on the returns received in February currently.  Just be patient.

Here is what the IRS website states:

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to January 2022 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to January 2022 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before January 2022 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

Hi

I applied for ITIN on May 5th 2022. Along with it I also mailed my Tax return to the Texas Office. Its now more than 12 weeks but there have been no updates for the ITIN nor the Tax return. I am trying to contact IRS by phone. But have not been able to talk to anyone. Can someone please help me. Thanks!

@ankitdani  continue to have patience - the IRS is woefully backlogged.  this is from the IRS website: 

The IRS is opening and processing Form W-7s as quickly as possible. We are currently processing Form W-7s that were received in early April. We are taking every action to minimize delays, and we are processing requests in the order they were received. The taxpayer will be notified once the ITIN is assigned or if additional information is needed. Original identification documents that are submitted with the Form W-7 will be returned to the taxpayer at the mailing address of record as quickly as possible. The associated tax return will then be submitted for processing.

Other than responding to any requests for information promptly, there is no action the taxpayer should take. They should not file a second Form W-7 or tax return or contact the IRS about the status of their Form W7 or their return. Eligible taxpayers who need to obtain or renew an ITIN may submit Form W-7 and the related tax return and documentation now if they have not previously filed. Please refer to the Instructions for Form W-7 for eligibility requirements.

We had applied for the ITIN on May 5th 2022 and at present IRS is processing the ITINs for Mid May. So I believe my case should have been processed. I had been told that I will receive an mail from IRS which will have the ITIN number. But there has not been any update from the IRS nor any mails from them. Can anyone let me know, how will the IRS communicate updates for ITIN? 

Following is from the IRS website.

The IRS is opening and processing Form W-7s as quickly as possible. We are currently processing Form W-7s that were received in mid-May. We are taking every action to minimize delays, and we are processing requests in the order they were received. The taxpayer will be notified once the ITIN is assigned or if additional information is needed. Original identification documents that are submitted with the Form W-7 will be returned to the taxpayer at the mailing address of record as quickly as possible. The associated tax return will then be submitted for processing.

Other than responding to any requests for information promptly, there is no action the taxpayer should take. They should not file a second Form W-7 or tax return or contact the IRS about the status of their Form W7 or their return. Eligible taxpayers who need to obtain or renew an ITIN may submit Form W-7 and the related tax return and documentation now if they have not previously filed. Please refer to the Instructions for Form W-7 for eligibility requirements.

Per the IRS :  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin#:~:text=Who%20can%20I%20call%20for,7%20an....

How long does it take?

You will receive a letter from the IRS assigning your tax identification number usually within seven weeks if you qualify for an ITIN and your application is complete.

Who can I call for help?

You can call the IRS toll-free at 800-829-1040 if you are in the United States or 267-941-1000 (not a toll-free number) if you are outside the United States. This service allows you to check the status of your application seven weeks after submitting Form W-7 and your tax return.

The number that you provided never connects to the IRS Agent. Is there any other way I can get any help from IRS? Thanks. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies