turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avivza123
Returning Member

A frustrating experience

I have been a long time TT customer, usually using the 'self employed' version. 

This year because of the virus, I tried the free file, as my filing is pretty simple this year. Half way through, it offered me to upgrade to Deluxe, which I decided to go for. Upon finishing a straightforward file, I realized that on top of the $40 fee, there would be another $40 charge for the state (NJ, which is previous years was $19.99). If I wanted to downgrade now, I would have to start from the beginning... 

I tried calling their customer service number, and gave up after an h hold time. I called again, and this time asked for a call back. Finally they returned my call, where I explained my issue to the rep, who put me on hold, promising to help me resolve this. Next thing I heard that her supervisor is declining to offer any help, and so I asked to speak to him/her.

After a few minutes wait, and an assurance that she is looking for one for me, I heard the automated response when making the initial call... wait time of 45 minutes +. I hung up upset, and went ahead and paid nearly $83 for what I thought would be free, or well, a smaller fee for the upgrade.

Any advice or action is appreciated.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

A frustrating experience

If you paid $19.99 to efile state previously then you were using the Desktop CD/Download program.  Online version pricing and structure is very different than the Desktop programs.

And there are several other major differences.  If you had posted before paying we could have told you about another free program that has more forms than the Turbo Tax Free Edition.  Or helped you move your online return to the Desktop program.  

A frustrating experience

Thanks for your reply, VolvoGirl.

Assuming what you are saying is true, then I wish that the pricing of all options would be clear and transparent -- if it must be so different in price. It would be nice (and fair) to know in advance the price for state filing, more so if it is the highest pay tier - double(!) of the desktop price. 

If there was a way, once the whole process was done, and all I got left is paying and filing, to change to another free program or shift to the desktop version, it would have been useful to be offered that option in real time -- not just pay or start over... and please mind you: I called before paying, spoke to a rep, who mention none of the options... kicked me back to the pool when i asked to speak to whomever instructed him not to help. 

Finally, a quick Google search showed that I am hardly the first to experience this feeling of trickery and unfairness. Isn't it a shame to lose a loyal customer of over a decade, over that?

A frustrating experience

In all Online versions each state return is $40.  No fee to efile.  Efiling is free and included.  And you  may have to upgrade to a higher version for federal depending on what you need to enter.  Like you need to use Premier for investments. You can see the Online prices here,   https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/   click on State Additional under the price.  Oh, and online is only for account and 1 return.  To do another return you need another account and pay again.

FYI - For Online, Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done. In case you need to amend it in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something. Or to transfer into next year.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

For the Desktop CD/Download program  you can use any version.  All desktop programs have the same forms so you can use a lower version.  The Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 for free.   In Deluxe and above you get one free state Program download to prepare returns in that state.  Then each state efile is $20 (goes up to $25 in March)  or you can print and mail state for free.  See the Desktop programs here,  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/   Click on 1 state download under the price.  

And the Desktop program has what if scenarios and you can see and enter directly into the actual forms. And the Desktop program is always available even after the year ends. Which is good if you ever need to amend your return after online website is closed or get audited and need your tax records. With the Online version you can't get a copy of your return after Oct 15 for a month or so while they transition over to the next year.  

A frustrating experience

2 other FAQs I found you might be interested in

Advantages of Desktop over Online
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2750704-what-are-the-advantages-of-the-turbotax-cd-download-softwa...

See Important Offers and Disclosures for the different features of Online & Desktop programs
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/important-offer-details-and-disclosures/00/273...

A frustrating experience

VolvoGirl,

Sorry if I seem to beat a dead horse here, but this is my point exactly: I thought I was using free file ($0 Fed, $0 State, $0 file), and was only upgrading the federal to Deluxe. Only when I was done with the state did it say I would have to pay $40 for the state on top. And for what? The simple of simplest 2 minutes of state filing... But by now I was trapped: Pay now, or start from scratch (and does it mean federal from scratch again too?!). 

This IMO is already a nasty trick, and not a fair one. Secondly, I raise an eyebrow that done one way state is $19.99, and here it is double!? why?! Cause they can? Not friendly.

And I called customer support (an ordeal in itself, that should be easier and faster), and there, again done before paying/finishing, no advice or consideration -- no reference to desktop, or another free solution, no, just pay or do over. And again, asking to speak with the person the rep told me said 'no', got me back in the queue. These are not earth shattering amounts, but an across the board not customer friendly actions. Makes one feel like a wallet, rather than a customer, whose satisfaction matters.

As an aside, I went to TT after getting an email reminding me to start it at least, and it guided me to the online version, offering no options. I thought fine, it must be all the same... Usually I DL the desktop version. Giving these options in advance, with prices, would allow to make an educated choice, and certainly avoid rolling my eyes throughout, and feel like I feel now. And all for what? $20 dollars? I dunno about next year, but if I was asked now, or asked to recommend TT, I don't think I'd do it.

A frustrating experience

if you want free and you find it is upgrading you, then yes, get out and start over, even if it is from the beginning of your return.

---

visit the IRS at https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

to find truly free filing. You won't be prompted to upgrade.

PS.

the IRS webpage above is broken right now. !

A frustrating experience

Fanfare:

If my post interests you, please read it in its entirety, understand my beef, and then comment. FWIW, I willingly upgraded the federal, and knew what it cost, my issue is with the state cost (which I detailed in my previous posts). 

A frustrating experience

Sounds like a similar plot, I am experiencing.  I have used TurboTax for years and purchased the CD or used online download.  The products always designated costs involved in filing, ie. Free e-filing for Federal and extra charge for

state e-filing.  This year there is this elusive charge for filing both Fed. & State.  Also having trouble with e-file.  I'm done with TurboTax! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies