turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2019 Federal tax return status

I haven’t received my 2019 federal tax and would like to know the status of my e-filing 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Was your e-file return accepted?  Once your return is accepted, only the IRS would know when you will receive your refund.  TurboTax does not get any updates regarding the processing of your return or when you will receive your refund.

You can checked the IRS website Where's My Refund for your Federal information?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

You can also contact the IRS.  The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.

- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

-----------------------------------

If you need to check the status of your e-filed return:

How do I check my e-file status?

• Sign in to TurboTax to check your current status. You'll find it in Tax Home after sign in.
  • If you've got an Alexa device, you can enable it to check for you.
  • If you used TurboTax CD/Download you can check your e-file status by opening the File menu and selecting Check E-filing status or by opening your return, selecting the File tab, and selecting the Check E-file Status header.

Keep in mind:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in.
  • Refund status is when you can expect your refund. If that’s what you’re interested in, go to Where's My Refund?

View solution in original post

29 Replies

Was your e-file return accepted?  Once your return is accepted, only the IRS would know when you will receive your refund.  TurboTax does not get any updates regarding the processing of your return or when you will receive your refund.

You can checked the IRS website Where's My Refund for your Federal information?

You can also contact the IRS.  The IRS telephone number is 1-800-829-1040, and they are available from 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday thru Friday. The best time to call is early in the morning.

- The first question the automated system will ask you is to choose your language.
- Once you’ve set your language, do NOT choose Option 1 (regarding refund info). Choose option 2 for “Personal Income Tax” instead.
- Next, press 1 for “form, tax history, or payment”.
- Next, press 3 “for all other questions.”
-Next, press 2 “for all other questions.”
- When the system asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, do NOT enter anything.
-After it asks twice, you will be prompted with another menu.
-Finally, press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. The system should then transfer you to an agent.

-----------------------------------

If you need to check the status of your e-filed return:

How do I check my e-file status?

• Sign in to TurboTax to check your current status. You'll find it in Tax Home after sign in.
  • If you've got an Alexa device, you can enable it to check for you.
  • If you used TurboTax CD/Download you can check your e-file status by opening the File menu and selecting Check E-filing status or by opening your return, selecting the File tab, and selecting the Check E-file Status header.

Keep in mind:

• E-filing status is what stage of the process your return is in.
  • Refund status is when you can expect your refund. If that’s what you’re interested in, go to Where's My Refund?

Excited to try this suggested phone number and tried to call many times early in the morning but always end up as an automated answer and will say "due to high volume of callers we're unable to answer your call, pls try again in the nxt buss day... blah, blah, blah... 🤨

So hopeless to verify to a live person & tracking refund status that was Efiled before July 15th deadline  (or even 3-6mos earlier).

Verified via;

Phone: no live person, automated

IRS Transcipt 2019: $0 - no info

Turbotax: IRS accepted; State rcvd refund few months ago (i guess since it's <$700, that's why!)

My last hope will be just sending a letter directly and hoping someone will respond with an answer. And hoping not an AUDIT or INTEREST penalty (after a long wait for refund).  

Insane time in this world of chaos!!!

@votzky

"My last hope will be just sending a letter directly and hoping someone will respond with an answer. "

The IRS is working on opening over 11 million pieces of mail received during the pandemic.  Mail piled up in trailers.  Sending a letter to ask about the delayed processing of your e-filed return is unlikely to be effective.

To check on regular tax refund status via automated phone, call 800-829-1954. (This line has no information on Economic Impact Payments.)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic. 

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control. TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 20 of your Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

According to turbo my return was accepted but the IRS does not have a copy of it.  I cannot find anyone to talk to obtain status of return which was filed on 7/15/20.

Double check to see if your e-file status is "accepted."

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

If the return was accepted, are you using the right information to check on the IRS refund site?  Sometimes users are confused by the "summary" given by TurboTax and use the wrong amount when entering their refund into the IRS site.  Use your Social Security number, your filing status and the refund amount from line 20 of your Form 1040.  Do NOT use the amount that showed a difference/total of federal and state refunds or tax due.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
todotodoroki
Returning Member

In order to do 2019 Tax Return, Turbo Tax need to see my 2018 tax return, but Turbo Tax and myself can not find it.

todotodoroki
Returning Member

What I need to do to do 2019 Tax return.  even after the dead line passed.

@todotodoroki 

Online preparation and e-filing for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is permanently closed.

To file a return for a prior tax year

If you need to prepare a return for 2017, 2018, or 2019 you can purchase and download desktop software to do it, then print, sign,  and mail the return(s)

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

You may also want to explore purchasing the software from various retailers such as Amazon, Costco, Best Buy, Walmart, Sam’s, etc.

Remember to prepare your state return as well—if you live in a state that has a state income tax.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Note:  The desktop software you need to prepare the prior year return must be installed/downloaded to a full PC or Mac.  It cannot be used on a mobile device.

If you are getting a refund, there is not a penalty for filing past the deadline.  If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

Ihave tried numerous times called and cant get anyone my taxes are not going through why

@msevedukes 

"my taxes are not going through why...."

If you are trying to e-file a 2019 or earlier return--give it up.  E-filing closed permanently for 2019 returns on October 31.  The only way to file your tax return is to print it, sign it in ink and mail it in.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

Didn’t complete filing 2019 taxes.  Should I start over and how do I do that?

My taxes were filed in March 2020. I received confirmation that both the State & Federal were accepted. I received the State right away. The refund site for Federal said  processing for months and now it says "They cannot provide any information and to check with the software provider".  But according to the Turbo Tax site they don't have that information. arghhh

I tried calling the IRS number that I was given on the IRS site but it is just an automated system that loops around and gives me the same information that the website does.

Does this mean they lost my return or they are still working through the backlog? I would think it would still say processing if they haven't gotten to it yet. 

I understand the delays due to Covid & offices shutdown, but shouldn't there be something my now? I haven't received any calls or letters informing there was an issue. 2020 taxes are coming due.

Has everyone else had the same issue? Is there an actual number to call to talk to a live person?

Thanks!

@dgconcidine The IRS has probably changed the IRS website for the status of a federal tax refund to 2020 federal tax refunds.  That would be why they would no longer have any information on the website for your 2019 tax refund.

Your only option is to call the IRS.  Many users have had luck if they call the very first thing in the morning.

Note that Monday is a holiday so try on Tuesday, 01/19/2021

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Thanks!

I tried that, but it said call volume was too high and dropped my call.

I will try again in the morning on Tuesday.

Thanks again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies