Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

d7murray

I want to upload my 2016 Turbo Tax file to the online site; how do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You can transfer last year's tax data file (not the PDF) if you're preparing your 2016 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.

Note: If you already started a return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return (or continue a return you already started).
    • Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  2. Select Tools from the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right corner.
  3. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
d7murray

I purchased Turbo Tax from Staples (not at turbotax online) and downloaded it to my computer. I've mostly completed my return, and want to know how to upload the tax file to turbotax online.

You can transfer last year's tax data file (not the PDF) if you're preparing your 2016 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.

Note: If you already started a return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return (or continue a return you already started).
    • Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  2. Select Tools from the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right corner.
  3. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately TurboTax can not transfer partially prepared 2016 returns from CD/desktop to the online product. That transfer is only possible for returns filed in previous years. 

d7murray

Thanks, Elizabeth. I have used Turbo Tax for at least the last 10 years (more like 15-16), and b/c spouse & I switch off doing them from year to year, I cannot remember if they are auto-saved to our online account AFTER e-filing, or what. So, for future reference, prior year's tax data will only transfer to new year's tax return IF we purchase directly from TurboTax?

Sorry for the delay. You can transfer prior year (2015) data into a new (2016) tax return no matter where you purchase TurboTax. And, this year over year transfer works both transferring from CD/Download to Online or Online to CD/Download version of TurboTax. This is true regardless of whether you purchase direct from TurboTax or from one of our retail partners like Staples. However, it sounds to me like you're trying to transfer current year (2016) tax return from a CD you purchased to a current year (2016) tax return in TurboTax Online. It's the current year to current year that is not possible.

For some reason my 2019 Turbo Tax file is not in my online account (where my 2014-2018 tax returns are available).  Is there a way to upload the Turbotax file from my laptop (I still have the TurboTax 2019 software) to my online account.

I am looking to upload 2019 so that I know it is stored on my account for future reference.  

(I have already filled my 2020 Taxes with Turbo Tax, so I do not need the data to transfer.)

Thanks,

Steve

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It is possible that for 2019, while the same email was used, a different username was used. To find out, see: How many Intuit Accounts do I have with TurboTax?

This could have created a second account at Intuit. Unfortunately, these accounts cannot be merged. Extra, unused accounts can be deactivated, though.

To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Sign into TurboTax.
  2. Select your Intuit Account at the bottom of the left menu.
  3. Select Data & privacy and Continue.
  4. Click Continue on the Delete line and follow the prompts.

If you do find that 2019 was filed in a different account, see: How to access and manage your personal data from your Intuit Account.

It may be useful to keep the downloaded files all together since the 2019 return cannot be added to your other account. See: How can I protect the tax files on my computer?

@d7murray

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies