Solved: You can transfer last year's tax data file (not th...

I want to upload my 2016 Turbo Tax file to the online site; how do I do that?

You can transfer last year's tax data file (not the PDF) if you're preparing your 2016 return in TurboTax Online Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed.

Note: If you already started a return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered.  Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return (or continue a return you already started).
    • Make sure you've gone past the blue "simple and accurate" screen before continuing to the next step.
  2. Select Tools from the My Account drop-down menu in the upper right corner.
  3. In the pop-up window, select Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

I purchased Turbo Tax from Staples (not at turbotax online) and downloaded it to my computer. I've mostly completed my return, and want to know how to upload the tax file to turbotax online.

Thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately TurboTax can not transfer partially prepared 2016 returns from CD/desktop to the online product. That transfer is only possible for returns filed in previous years. 

Thanks, Elizabeth. I have used Turbo Tax for at least the last 10 years (more like 15-16), and b/c spouse & I switch off doing them from year to year, I cannot remember if they are auto-saved to our online account AFTER e-filing, or what. So, for future reference, prior year's tax data will only transfer to new year's tax return IF we purchase directly from TurboTax?

Sorry for the delay. You can transfer prior year (2015) data into a new (2016) tax return no matter where you purchase TurboTax. And, this year over year transfer works both transferring from CD/Download to Online or Online to CD/Download version of TurboTax. This is true regardless of whether you purchase direct from TurboTax or from one of our retail partners like Staples. However, it sounds to me like you're trying to transfer current year (2016) tax return from a CD you purchased to a current year (2016) tax return in TurboTax Online. It's the current year to current year that is not possible.