turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smstasko1

Where do I add Form 8888?

I need to file form 8888 how do I add it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You can add Form 8888 - Allocation of Refund when you go through the screens to file your return.  Please follow these steps:

1. Click the File tab.
  2. On the screen, How do you want your $XX federal refund, mark the circle for Direct Deposit to a bank account.
  3. Go to the bottom of the screen and mark the box I would like to split my refund into more than one account.
  4. On the screen, Tell Us What You Would Like to Do, mark the appropriate radio button,  to split your refund into more than one account, purchase savings bonds, or both.
  5. Depending on your selection, you will see screens to Purchase Savings Bond, and/or Split your Refund into Multiple Accounts.
  6. Enter the requested information and click Continue.
  7. Form 8888 will be generated and transmit with your return.
  8. You can then continue to file your return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

30 Replies
smstasko1

Ok so thank you I found the form. No my question is last year we filed an amended return because the tax preparer forgot to the education credit form. So the 1040 was changed and we received a refund in the form of a check and a letter stating that we needed to file form 8888 this year. I have read the instructions under changes in refund due to math errors but still do not understand how to fill out this form. Can you please help me.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

You can add Form 8888 - Allocation of Refund when you go through the screens to file your return.  Please follow these steps:

1. Click the File tab.
  2. On the screen, How do you want your $XX federal refund, mark the circle for Direct Deposit to a bank account.
  3. Go to the bottom of the screen and mark the box I would like to split my refund into more than one account.
  4. On the screen, Tell Us What You Would Like to Do, mark the appropriate radio button,  to split your refund into more than one account, purchase savings bonds, or both.
  5. Depending on your selection, you will see screens to Purchase Savings Bond, and/or Split your Refund into Multiple Accounts.
  6. Enter the requested information and click Continue.
  7. Form 8888 will be generated and transmit with your return.
  8. You can then continue to file your return.

I need to add injured spouse. Form 8379. To stop my wife from having her refund taken. I forgot to do this

@Robertjames42265 wrote:

I need to add injured spouse. Form 8379. To stop my wife from having her refund taken. I forgot to do this

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 8379 after you have filed a joint tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation/0...

i FILE BY MAIL. cAN'T FIND FORM 8888 ON T TAX.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@sailorjohn Are you attempting to set up direct deposit of your tax refund? if so, then you may follow the steps that IreneS supplied above in the thread.

OK. But it calls for electronic filing. Not printed paper filing like the Turbo MD tax form.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you choose to file by mail all necessary forms and documents will print along with instructions on where to mail your return. 

How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?

@sailorjohn

DMS69
Returning Member

I did not include Form 8888 Allocation of Refund when I did my Vermont Taxes via Turbotax in March.  Is this why I have not received a refund?  

How do I send the Form 8888 to the IRS for a refund.  Why to the IRS, when it is a Vermont Refund.  

Been trying to figure this all out for 2 hours..  HELP please

Diana

@DMS69 wrote:

I did not include Form 8888 Allocation of Refund when I did my Vermont Taxes via Turbotax in March.  Is this why I have not received a refund?  

How do I send the Form 8888 to the IRS for a refund.  Why to the IRS, when it is a Vermont Refund.  

Been trying to figure this all out for 2 hours..  HELP please

Diana

An IRS Form 8888, Allocation of Refund, is only for allocating a Federal Tax Refund into different accounts.  It is Not used for a state tax refund.

DMS69
Returning Member

I did notice that AFTER I sent my question. 

so okay, how do I submit a form 8888 to the IRS

Does anyone want to see the Federal IRS form 8888?
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8888.pdf 

If you already filed it is too late to change anything or the  deposit info.   

If you haven't filed yet or it rejected you can go through the File tab to enter your bank info.   

billl
Returning Member

The questions & answers Irene S gives are not the screen I get using Turbotax Deluxe for 2021. The choices that I get are Direct Deposit to last year's bank account; New bank account; and send me a check.

What I want to do is split my refund and use part of the money to buy iBonds & have the rest go to last year's bank account. IRS Form 8888 is designed to do just that. How can I get to it from Turbotax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies