Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

valfaro

You all are charging me to view my previous year tax, never will I file with turbo tax again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

You all are charging me to view my previous year tax, never will I file with turbo tax again.

There are limitations to the free program ... which is why they try so hard to get you to agree to the PLUS version. 

If you failed to save a PDF of the return last year when you filed then you can get a return transcript from the IRS for free :  http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Dell93

I agree! It’s really shady for a business to do this. I’ve paid the highest package (when I didn’t have too but y’all tricked me)(google about there free program and how they scammed people out of money) but yet you still hold files for randsom  basically. Definitely a terrible company and will not do business ever again and Will personally make sure everyone I know never goes to y’all again. Pure trash!

@Dell93 wrote:

I agree! It’s really shady for a business to do this. I’ve paid the highest package (when I didn’t have too but y’all tricked me)(google about there free program and how they scammed people out of money) but yet you still hold files for randsom  basically. Definitely a terrible company and will not do business ever again and Will personally make sure everyone I know never goes to y’all again. Pure trash!

The answer to the original question is from a very old post and not from 2019.  The dates on the question and answer were not properly transferred when this new website for the community was created.

With that said -

You do not need to purchase anything to get a PDF download of a prior year online tax return.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Go to this IRS website for the Free File Program - https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Dell93

Stop lying! That’s false! Y’all want $30 to Abe’s old files.I’ve tried all morning and even talked to someone. Stop being a with the bs.

@Dell93 wrote:

Stop lying! That’s false! Y’all want $30 to Abe’s old files.I’ve tried all morning and even talked to someone. Stop being a with the bs.

Where are you seeing this price of $30???  I just downloaded a 2018 PDF from my online account with no issues and no request for payment.

Have you spoken to a TurboTax support agent? - 

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

@DoninGA wrote:

@Dell93 wrote:

Where are you seeing this price of $30???  I just downloaded a 2018 PDF from my online account with no issues and no request for payment.

I know that if you use the free online version, your tax data file is locked on October 15 of the year after (for a 2018 return, the tax data file is locked on October 15, 2019).  I assume the PDF is also locked.  Your files are not locked if you use paid versions.  For example, if you use a paid version for 2018, your file will not be locked until October 15, 2020 (2 years later) and it will remain unlocked as long as you continue to use paid versions.

@DoninGA perhaps you are using a "paid" version.

You always have the opportunity of downloading your tax data file and your PDF before October 15.  If you don't, and you need the file later, you may indeed need to pay for an online program.  If you end up paying for Turbotax Plus Online for 2020, then all your files will be unlocked until October 15, 2022, and they will stay unlocked if you use Plus or higher for 2021, etc.

This is Turbotax' marketing decision.  We on this board can't change it.  If you have special circumstances, you can call customer support and ask for an exception.  And honestly, if your threat is that you will stop using the Free version of Turbotax in the future, I don't think the company will lose sleep over that.

@Opus 17 On my test account I used the 2019 Free edition.  Was able to download a PDF of the 2019 tax return and the 2018 tax return.

@DoninGA wrote:

@Opus 17 On my test account I used the 2019 Free edition.  Was able to download a PDF of the 2019 tax return and the 2018 tax return.

For 2017 and earlier, free returns were definitely locked.  There is a reference to payment in this FAQ.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27371

Maybe there was a change for 2018 and 2019, I don't use TTO so I can't verify.  Or maybe your account has special privileges as a "champ".  I also recall there was a plan to allow amending prior years online rather than having to download an amend-only program, I don't know if that has been implemented either. 

jmorgan7

@Critter Bless you for including this. I was able to get the docs I needed from the IRS and get out of this bureaucratic nightmare.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies