gabec67

Will I be fined I accidentally file my federal taxes twice?

I filed my federal tax through credit karma but at the end, after submitting my federal return I noticed that they don't file state taxes. I got my return and tried to file my state taxes through Tubo Tax but it had me file both federal and state taxes. I only wanted to file my state taxes. Can I cancel the federal tax submission so that only my state taxes get filed. or am I going to get in trouble for accidentally filing my taxes twice. Can I call someone to fix this?

JulieR

No, you will not be fined.  In all likelihood, if the return you e-filed through the other service was accepted, the return you filed with TurboTax will be rejected. Wait until you learn whether or not your e-filed TurboTax return is rejected or accepted.  If the return is rejected, you can go ahead and prepare to file the state return, but it will need to be paper filed by mail since TurboTax is not designed to e-file the state return on its own.  

The following TurboTax return gives instructions for printing and filing your return by mail.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713

JulieR

danalylawyer24

Hi  I filed twice  my tax and  I got  email  from  turbo  tax say accepted  and  the  other  one I file though  CPA  was  filed  too ,can  advice  me what  is  the  best  way  to fix it? Thank you for your help 

DMarkM1

The IRS will sort it out.  In all liklihood since the TurboTax return was accepted, the 2nd return will be rejected. If the second return is the correct version you may need to amend the accepted return.  Explain the issue to your CPA to help determine the need to file as an amendment.   

fwarren97

I had someone file my taxes and I filed on TurboTax because of an error on the first return. The TurboTax return is the correct one and it was

accepted. So will my TurboTax return go through and my first one rejected or how does this work

pattif12

The first one that is accepted by the IRS will go through unless there is an error that causes the return to be rejected. You said that the TurboTax return was accepted. The IRS is processing some returns today earlier than the initial February 12th date that was given. If your return TurboTax return was accepted by the IRS, the other one will be rejected because of a duplicate social security number.