Shennam0420

Why when I filed my taxes it didn’t ask for my ip PIN number?

If you received an IP PIN from the IRS in December or January and did not enter the IP PIN on the tax return, then the IRS will reject your tax return.  You need to wait for the IRS to reject the return sometime on or after January 27.  Once the return is rejected you can enter the IP PIN you received and re-file.

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

TaxMom2

Why didn't the TurboTax software prompt me for a PIN? I was waiting to be prompted and it never asked for the PIN. I used one in previous years and transferred last years information so it should have known that one was provided in the previous year.

MaryK4

The self-selected five digit PIN is a security issue so TurboTax does not transfer it with the return.  If you do not remember it, you can use the prior year adjusted gross income.

@TaxMom2

TaxMom2

I had my 2019 unique PIN ready. I just wasn't prompted and I wanted to give that feedback that the software was lacking in not asking the specific question. Thank you.

dmcharg88

I never was asked by turbo tax to provide that IDme pin. I even provided last years AGI and it doesn’t matter. Still need the pin to send your tax returns. Don’t know about you, but I’m really pissed off! This is a huge inconvenience! 

dmcharg88

That’s not true! I provided my last years AGI and I still had to provide the IDme pin, that I never received! 

@dmcharg88 If you received a 6 digit Identity Protection PIN from the IRS due to reporting an identity theft to the IRS -

To enter, edit or delete a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info

n8zach

It's 2022 now and the responses to this question are confusing...  some say it will be rejected if you don't include the ippin, and others say the turbotax software uses the last year AIG method for identity confirmation and does not "transmit" the ippin for security reasons...  which is it?

I was issued an ippin (though I don't know why... I did not request one nor was I a victim of identity theft that I know of) and so I was ready to provide it when doing my taxes, but I was never asked if I had one and it looks like my submitted forms are missing it.

Will my submission be rejected?

Why doesn't the turbotax process at least ask if you have one?

Cass0317

If you received an IP PIN or CP01A notice from the IRS in the past (or you opted in to the pilot program) you must use your 2021 IP PIN to validate your identity when you file your 2021 return.

For more information, please see the TurboTax FAQ below:

What's an IP PIN? Do I need one?

@n8zach

n8zach

It was rejected.  Good news is that it happened in about an hour and I was able to add the info and re-submit.  Now we'll see what happens.

Why turbotax doesn't ask if you have an Identity Protection Personal Identification Number as part of the question process or review is completely beyond me.   It seems like a ridiculous oversight and makes me question the integrity of turbotax...  what else is it missing/forgetting?  I'm not sure I would recommend it to others.  I know it can be entered by drilling into the right form in the right place but not asking when it can mean having the forms rejected and possibly delaying a refund is unfortunate.