Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jerwib

Closed case that I am not happy with the results of.

Case # is xxxxxxxxx.  This is a Turbotax error and Turbotax has to fix this.  The IRS will not accept any of the EIC.  A supervisor needs to look at this and Turbotax has to fix it.  I will not use TurboTax again.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

If IRS is denying your EIC, Im not sure how that's a TurboTax error.    Are you getting rejected?  Or did IRS send a letter?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
jerwib

I received a letter.  I spoke to a Sharon and she said I should contact the IRS.  TurboTax in doing its final deduction check did the EIC.  There was a deduction also for income made while at a halfway house.  TurboTax should not have taken the EIC but it did any ways.  TurboTax has to do something as I am not paying $44.00 on an error I did not do.

Why is the IRS denying the EIC if you qualify for it?   If it was because of income earned while in prison or a halfway house then you failed to answer the EIC interview questions that specifically  asks about that.

In any event, the most that TurboTax would reimburse you would be any penalties or interest charged by the  IRS due to a TurboTax calculation error, they never pay the actual tax owed had the return been correct in the first place, however this is probably your error for not answering the EIC interview questions properly.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

the inmate or halfway house income doesn't qualify for EIC, youre right....are you saying that TT calculated it on that income anyhow?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

Unless you check the box that you had prison or half-way house income, TurboTax will give you the EIC.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jerwib

The Box was checked for the Halfway House income.  It should have never done the EIC.  This is why I am royally pissed.  Looks like I am out $44.00 thanks to turbotax and the error it did.  I have no leg to stand on since I did the free and I cannot get to a supervisor or someone else higher.

If you check that box then it asks you to enter the amount of the income from the halfway house or work release income and subtracts that from the EIC income.    That would be shown on the EIC worksheet line 2 a,b & c.  The EIC is then calculated using the remaining income that qualifies.    You can still get the EIC if you had other earned income.

What exactally did the IRS give as a reason for denying the EIC?   The IRS does make mistakes.
jerwib

That the EIC and Half Way House income were both taken.  And no, the IRS did not make a mistake as I did speak to them.
jerwib

I am not accepting this ludicris error on TurboxTax.  I guess I will have to take it to court.  It was the error of TurboTax and not me. Good Ridence,  Close this damn case.

Speaking to a supervisor is not going to help you.  TurboTax does not pay additional tax you owe.  If you believe there is an error in the program calculation, AND you owe penalties or interest on additional tax, not just additional tax, you submit that as an Accuracy Guarantee claim.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302050

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies