Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Carl E1

Why do I have to pay maximum refund guarantee. I don't want the guarantee

There is no way to remove the $20 change for Max Refund. Im using the Mac Desktop version and have all current updates. What is the deal? Just a bug or ...?

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 10.03.28 AM.png

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the steps in the below TurboTax help article to remove MAX.

Can I remove MAX?

@Carl E1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ Carl E1 wrote:

There is no way to remove the $20 change for Max Refund. Im using the Mac Desktop version and have all current updates. What is the deal? Just a bug or ...?

You are NOT being charged an additional fee for the max refund guarantee (which is different from MAX benefits).   You appear to be using desktop software.   The desktop version does not have the MAX suite of add-on features.     All TurboTax products have the maximum refund guarantee, and it is free. That is not the same as the add-on MAX benefits package available to online users (for a fee).

The $20 fee you show in your image above is the state efile fee in order to efile a state return.   In desktop TurboTax, efiling of the Federal return is free, but there is a $20 fee to efile a state return (except no fee for New York state return.)

The second $20 in your image where it says "Total" (in black) is merely the sum of the $0 Federal fee plus the $20 state efile fee.     Since the Max Refund Guarantee badge is also on that line, I can see how it can be confusing if one does not clearly see the smaller black word "Total."

NOTE:    Also, you will save money to pay the $20 state efile fee using credit/debit card.  If you choose to pay the $20 fee out of your Federal refund, there is an additional $40 service fee ($45 for California filers.)

Thank you, susandamore for contributing your very clear answer.  Turbotax is misleading folks with summarizing expenses before explaining that the Maximum Refund Guarantee is only charged if you deduct it from the refund.  It's an unfortunate approach because it does look like an undisclosed and required cost.  Puts a bad taste in people's mouth unnecessarily.

Your clear explanation allowed me to proceed through knowing I had an option.

Thanks!

JH92262

I reviewed Michelle's instructions and they do not make sense. I go to the File menu and do not see anything that let's me review my order and choose steps. Please clarify. I do not need Max service.

@JH92262   Are you using the Desktop program?  Are you in California?  You selected to have the $20 state efile fee deducted from your refund.  There is a Extra $40 Refund Processing Service charge (45 in California) .  Max is part of Premium service.

In California Desktop program to remove Audit Defense and Premium Services you have to change to pay the 20 state efile fee by credit card and not by having it deducted from your federal refund.  Or print and mail state for free.  Go back through the File tab again and change to pay with a credit card.  Then if Audit Defense is still there you can remove it.

jcanniff

I purchased my copy of Turbo Tax online through Costco.  I paid $55 for 'regular' Federal and one state.  When I began to file my taxes, one of the charges includes a $15 "Maximum Refund Guarantee".  I thought that was why I was using Turbo Tax in the first place?  Why am I now being charged this fee????

$15 sounds like the fee to efile the state return.  The regular fee is $25 but you got a $10 credit from Costco.  

In the Desktop program you get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is $20 to efile, usually goes up to $25 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

I have been using turbotax for at least 10 years but just saw this extra Maximum Refund Guarantee charge of $25.  I think this is an extra insurance Turbotax wants us to buy against the event that they have to pay the difference for the taxpayer who finds out the overpayment.  not fair.  next year bye bye turbotax

@DIY_TAX_GAL wrote:

I have been using turbotax for at least 10 years but just saw this extra Maximum Refund Guarantee charge of $25.  I think this is an extra insurance Turbotax wants us to buy against the event that they have to pay the difference for the taxpayer who finds out the overpayment.  not fair.  next year bye bye turbotax

There is no charge for the Maximum Refund Guarantee.  Where do you see this?

This is the TurboTax website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/guarantees/

This option sucks ! There ought to be a clear choice of selecting service. They fool you into going in circle only to pay the extra charge of $45.00 . Next year I will be careful to avoid Quicken

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Are you referring to MAX?  Please see our Help Article here on how to remove this if you haven't already completed your filing.  

@95274162 

You could have made it simplier instead of making it a clever ruse. Going in circle did not help.

lbuchwa

I am being charged for the state filing in addition to $15 for maximum refund guarantee yet this thread says you do not charge.   How can I remove?  

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@lbuchwa 

If you are referring to MAX, and have not already paid for it, please see the FAQ link provided below for assistance with removing it. If you are referring to something else, or this does not help you, please respond back here and let us know:

Can I remove MAX?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies