Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I being forced to upgrade to turbo tax deluxe

It says I made a overpayment in social security payments. So I have to upgrade to deal with it. But what if I don’t want to deal with it. Why am I being forced to pay $60 to do something I
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

The FREE version is limited to just the form 1040 and if your return requires one of the schedules you must upgrade to deluxe to complete a correct return. First review your entries in the W-2 section for any input errors.

Next ... if you are married make sure each of your W-2 forms are correctly identified to the right person ... that is the most likely reason for this excess SS issue ... remove the error to remove the upgrade issue.

However, if you are single and have more than one employer and the totals of box 4 is more than  $8,239.80 then you have refundable SS taxes due to overwithholding.  To file a proper return this needs to be included and the excess is refundable.     https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/can-i-get-a-refund-for-excess-social-s...

I'm filing taxes for an elder that I have been helping for years on TurboTax and all of a sudden this year it is trying to force me or her to upgrade.  She hasn't changed anything as far as income or deductions or anything and her Box 4 is well below $8000, it's ridiculous, so that's not it for her case. Can anyone think of any of reason the demand of an upgrade could be happening?

@jonyai1003 wrote:

I'm filing taxes for an elder that I have been helping for years on TurboTax and all of a sudden this year it is trying to force me or her to upgrade.  She hasn't changed anything as far as income or deductions or anything and her Box 4 is well below $8000, it's ridiculous, so that's not it for her case. Can anyone think of any of reason the demand of an upgrade could be happening?

There are multiple reasons why you would need to upgrade from the Free online edition to the Deluxe online edition.  The Free online edition does not support any other form or schedule other than the Form 1040.  If any tax data being entered requires to be entered on anything other than the Form 1040 then an upgrade is required.

Look at the tax return and see if there is an entry on any line of either the Schedule 1, Schedule 2 or Schedule 3.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

Resolve this by using the Free File Program if eligible - https://freefile.intuit.com/

If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2019 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

If you qualify you could use one of the IRS FREE FILE options:

1. Go to gov/freefile to see all Free File options.
  2. Browse each of the 10 offers or use a "look up" tool to help you find the right product. Each Free File partner sets its own eligibility standards generally based on income, age and state residency. But if your adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less, you will find at least one free product to use. Two products are in Spanish.
  3. Select a provider and follow the links to their web page to begin your tax return.
  4. Complete and e-file your tax return only if you have all the income and deduction records you need. The fastest way to get a refund is by filing electronically and selecting direct deposit. If you owe, use direct pay or electronic options.

You do not have to be EITC eligible in order to qualify for Free File. Any individual or married couple that meets the income limitation can qualify. First-time filers or college students are key users. Military personnel who meet the income requirement can use any of nine partner products. And seniors who want to file the new Form 1040-SR because they are over 65 and taking the standard deduction also can use Free File.

Remember, if you meet the income requirement you will find at least one free online product. To avoid fees for state tax returns, look for a partner that offers free state tax return preparation or check out your state's tax agency website to see if they are members of the State Free File program.

BOC317

It is forcing everyone to upgrade these days for invalid reasons.  I was forced to upgrade after trying 3 different times and even contacting support a couple of times to work through.  The reason I was flagged to be required to upgrade even support agreed didn’t exist...but I got tired of waiting and just took the hit.  The time I spend trying to resolve it was worth way more to me than the cost.  I think that is what they are counting on. I suspect we will see a class action in the near future.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here which explains why you may have to upgrade from our basic version to deluxe.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is [removed]. As if last year wasn't bad enough but now this program is trying to bully people into paying for something we don't want. No where did I read any stipulations on having to pay. This program use to be helpful. Now it is a nightmare. [removed]

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please see this TurboTax Help article for possible explanations:  Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?

@Desiray Jorissen

Jaymoney1

Hello,

They forced me to as well but only right as i try to file what a scam. They say i have an HSA even if I try to remove the amount it reappears so they can get that deluxe fee. Wont let me file without. Use another service this is a pathetic power grab in the hope you are too lazy to start over. Will no longer be using this platform. 

There is a $9. credit for retirement credit that you added on, which has never been added before. I shouldn't have to pay $39 to get $9. My receipt says I owe $0, but I can't get to the filing part.  I will try another tax site.

@aaroneffinger0608 The Free Edition cannot be used if you are getting the saver's credit because it requires the use of Schedule 3.   Your plan to use the Free File site is a better plan.

WHY DO I HAVE TO PAY?  I WANT THE FREE EDITION

The information that you can enter in Free Edition is pretty limited now.  Thanks to the new tax laws that began for 2018 returns, there are no more simple Form 1040EZ or 1040A's.  Everything goes on a Form 1040 that has three extra "schedules" with it, and if you need any of those schedules, you are not able to use the Free Edition.  Using the standard deduction instead of itemizing does NOT mean you will not need any of those schedules.https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4511011-what-happened-to-the-1040a-and-1040ez   If you started in the Free Edition and entered any data that required any of those three schedules, you have to upgrade to a paid version and if you are watching the screens carefully you are alerted to the upgrade.

When you chose to “start”  in the Free Edition —

Directly below the words “Free Edition” there is a blue link that says “For simple tax returns only”   If you click that link it brings up this information:

You can file with TurboTax Free Edition if you have a simple tax return.*

*A simple tax return is Form 1040 only.

Situations covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• W-2 income
  • Limited interest and dividend income reported on a 1099-INT or 1099-DIV
  • Claiming the standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child tax credits
  • Student Loan Interest deduction

Situations not covered in TurboTax Free Edition include:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on schedules 1-3

How does TurboTax make any money?

Customers with more complex tax situations will file with our paid TurboTax products that provide all the additional forms and guidance they need. We also offer additional benefits that go beyond filing your taxes, but they are optional and are not required to file simple taxes for free. We hope that, over time, as our customers with simple returns need more capabilities as their financial situations change (for example owning a home, having a child, managing investments), they have loved our products and services so much that they will choose our paid TurboTax offerings to prepare and file their returns.

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
guille369

Intuit the people backing them up and the people working for them are a bunch of crooks!!! This is probably why intuit backed out for this year's taxes so they can pull out **bleep** like this and start scamming everyone, especially underprivileged&Low income people. Shame on you Intuit! You will get yours, you scum! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies