Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

getakhil
Returning Member

Where do we report the estimated tax payments we did for 2020 in Turbo Tax? Will it go in schedule 3?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Where do we report the estimated tax payments we did for 2020 in Turbo Tax? Will it go in schedule 3?

they go on the tax payments worksheet but in step-by-step/interview mode you should have been asked if you made such payments. 

@ getakhil  asked:  "Where do we report the estimated tax payments we did for 2020 in Turbo Tax? Will it go in schedule 3?"

When you enter the reported figures in the interview, they will flow first to the Tax Payments Worksheet.  From that worksheet the Federal figures (for estimated Federal tax payments) flow to the Form 1040, Line 26.  

You appear to be using Online Premier, at least that is what is displayed underneath your question.  Here's how to report your quarterly estimated tax payments in Online TurboTax:

• With your return open, click on the Search tab at the top.
  • In the Search box enter the exact phrase estimated tax payments without quotes, then click the adjacent magnifying glass.   (ignore any dropdown menu while entering.)
  • Click on Jump to estimated tax payments.
  • Next screen is Estimates and Other Income Taxes Paid.
  • Choose the appropriate category you are reporting (Federal, state, local) and click START.

If you have any trouble with the "jump to" method, here's another way to get there.

• With the return open, go to the left menu column and click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
  • In the Tools window choose the blue button Topic Search.
  • In the topic search line enter estimated tax payments without quotes.
  • Make the selection in the list and click GO.
getakhil
Returning Member

Thank you! Will the estimated tax payments would go on schedule 3 as well?

@ getakhil wrote:

Thank you! Will the estimated tax payments would go on schedule 3 as well?

I don't know why you are asking that question about Schedule 3.   You do not enter the estimated tax payments twice. 

The TurboTax program knows how to handle the payments after you enter them in the interview as I described above. 

When you use the interview steps I outlined above, the estimated tax payments should show up on Form 1040, Line 26.     You can look at your Form 1040, Line 26 before filing to make sure they are showing up.

I'm a fellow user, not a tax expert.  I don't know why you are asking about Schedule 3 in regards to estimated taxes. 

What is it specifically on Schedule 3 that you are wondering about?  I don't see any lines on Schedule 3 related to estimated tax payments.   Schedule 3 has a place for an "extension payment" for those who requested an extension to file, but that is NOT for estimated tax payments.

And the totals from Schedule 3 flow to different lines of the Form 1040 (Line 20 and Line 31), not related to estimated tax payments which are on the Form1040, Line 26.

I just tested it with a scenario using my desktop software.   The estimated tax payments I entered showed up correctly on the Form 1040, Line 26 and did NOT use Schedule 3.

getakhil
Returning Member

Obviously, I just want to enter estimated tax payment once, not twice, however, when I preview the forms it is shown in 1040 as well as in schedule 3, not sure why, hence I asked this question. Looks like I have to call Turbo Tax to understand this, might be it could be a worksheet, not sure.

In 2019 schedule 3 form I see there is a line to enter estimated tax payments, but in 2020 schedule 3 form there is no such line.

@ getakhil wrote:

Obviously, I just want to enter estimated tax payment once, not twice, however, when I preview the forms it is shown in 1040 as well as in schedule 3, not sure why, hence I asked this question. Looks like I have to call Turbo Tax to understand this, might be it could be a worksheet, not sure.

In 2019 schedule 3 form I see there is a line to enter estimated tax payments, but in 2020 schedule 3 form there is no such line.

Yes, for 2019, that is correct.  Estimated tax payments did show up on the actual 2019 Schedule 3.   However, a lot of things are different in the schedules this year compared to 2019, including quite a few things on the Form 1040 itself.    I'll provide links below so you can compare the two Schedule 3, but you may have already done so.

For 2020,  Federal estimated tax payments has its own line on the Form 1040 (Line 26) so a schedule is not needed.  For 2019, it did not have its own line so it was combined in the 2019 Schedule 3 total that flowed to the 2019 Form 1040.  So it looks like for 2020, the IRS plucked the estimated taxes line out of Schedule 3 and put it directly on the Form 1040, Line 26.    Line 26 gets its info from the Tax Payments Worksheet (which got its info from the interview entries.)

If you're using the "Preview My 1040" feature of Online TurboTax, then you're looking at the Form 1040 Worksheet which has some Schedule 1-3 worksheets attached.   That Schedule 3 worksheet ultimately shows a Total of all payments from multiple sources--whether it is from W-2 withholding or any other payment, and it shows what line(s) of the Form 1040 it got the figures from.    The worksheet essentially adds up the same payment items that the Form 1040 adds up.  The "total payments" figure on the Schedule 3 worksheet should reconcile with the "total payments" shown on Form 1040, Line 33.   I can see why it's confusing when looking at that Sched 3 Worksheet.

In any case, when you print out an actual 2020 Schedule 3, it doesn't look like that.  In fact, in my scenarios no Schedule 3 is even generated for estimated tax payments alone, since one is not needed in that case; i.e., it only generates the Schedule 3 Worksheet (as part of the 1040 Worksheet), but no actual Schedule 3.  I have to also add an additional type of credit/payment to make it generate an actual Schedule 3 in the final return.

Look at the actual Schedule 3 images from the IRS website linked below for 2019 and 2020, and you'll see the difference.   You may have already done this.

2019 Schedule 3:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f1040s3--2019.pdf

2020 Schedule 3:  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040s3.pdf

From those images I see no evidence of estimated taxes on a 2020 Schedule 3.  

Again, I'm a fellow user sharing my observations and don't know another way to explain it.  If you have any further questions about reporting estimated taxes, Schedule 3, or the Schedule 3 Worksheet, you probably should speak to someone in realtime.  Here's how to speak to the folks at TurboTax Support:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

fruit23

it didn't ask me if i did. i didn't e-file, did the print by mail.  can we go in and make the adjustments

Yes, To change a return If you haven't mailed or efiled yet, see

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/i-want-to-change-a-return-i-ve-printed-but-haven-t...

If you haven't efiled or mailed your return or it rejected you can go back in and change anything you want.  Do not click on Amend!

Click on Add a State to let you back into your return.

From Tax Home (the first screen you see after you sign in), scroll down to Your tax returns & documents. You may have to select Show to open the drop down.

Select 2020, and then select Add a State (you're not actually adding a state, this is just the workaround).

Then when you are ready to file you can try to switch to efile.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-change-from-mail-to-e-file-in-turbotax-online...

@fruit23 wrote:

it didn't ask me if i did. i didn't e-file, did the print by mail.  can we go in and make the adjustments

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

To enter, edit or delete estimated taxes paid (Federal, State, Local) -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
  • On Estimates, click on the start or update button

Or enter estimates paid in the Search box located in the upper right of the online program screen. Click on Jump to estimates paid

Or click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.
Click on Tools
Click on Topic Search
Type in estimated tax payments, click on GO

Federal estimated taxes paid are entered on Form 1040 Line 26

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies