Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

GrandpaKeys
Returning Member

Where can I put in my six digit passcode that the irs gave me. Site only lets you put in 5

I filed electronically and was rejected by the  because EITHER the AGI and/or the PIN was not correct.  The five digit PIN was populated with information from 2019's  return.  I  logged into IRS and obtained a 6 digit PIN and tried to replace the 2019 PIN. The AGI's matched so I "knew" it must be a PIN problem.   (I now know the IRS  PIN <> TurboTax PIN.)   Bottom line, I have become one  with IRS rejection notification.  I will mail my returns in. :(

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Where can I put in my six digit passcode that the irs gave me. Site only lets you put in 5

@GrandpaKeys The five-digit e-file pin and six-digit identity protection pin are two different things.

If you received a IP Pin from the IRS you have to enter that separately into TurboTax in Other Tax Situations. 

• Type ip pin in Search in the upper right
  • Select Jump to ip pin

Once you get an IP PIN you will have to use an IP PIN to file every year. The IRS will mail you a new PIN every year.

Related Resource:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Fan333

Thanks for adding this info.  That is EXACTLY what I was wondering - after getting my 6-digit pin in there, what to do about the 5-digit pin.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN (5 digit pin you used to e-file last year) or adjusted gross income (AGI).   The Self-Select pin you used last year is not saved anywhere in TurboTax.  You would have needed to write it down and save it.   But you only need last year's PIN or last year's AGI, not both.  

The Self-Select PIN is a random five-digit number that you enter as your electronic signature when e-filing your return.

The IP PIN is a six-digit number that the IRS assigns to victims of tax-related identity theft.

Related Information:

For the purpose of signing your electronic return, they’re the same. You can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use.   It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

hokahara

IT WORKED!

lss1
Level 2

the IRS sent me my IP PIN, will i also need to put in the 5-digit pin at the end before i submit where i add my driver’s license ID??? 

lss1
Level 2

Which block do I find  my AGI? I just want to make sure i put in the correct figure! 🤔

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Enter your 6-digit Identity Protection (IP) pin first.   Follow these instructions to enter your IP PIN:

1. Sign into your TurboTax account.
  2. Open or continue to your return if you don't already have it open.
  3. In the Search bar type "IP PIN" (don't forget the space) and then select the Jump to link in the search results.
  4. On the Identity Protection PIN screen, answer Yes and enter your IP PIN in the space provided.
    • If you need to remove the IP PIN, select edit, then the trash icon.
  5. Select Done.

If you received an Identity Protection (IP PIN) or CP01A notice from the IRS in the past you must use your 2021 IP PIN to validate your identity when you file your 2021 return. 

When you go through the filing steps, yes, TurboTax will ask for your Self-Select pin (the 5 digit #) before you enter your drivers license info.   You can reuse your Self-Select PIN from last year or create a new one to use.  It doesn’t matter which option you choose.

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or adjusted gross income (AGI).   You are the only person that knows or has record of the 5 digit number you used last year.   It is not kept with your tax return or anywhere with TurboTax.   If you used TurboTax last year, your AGI will be prepopulated, so you won't need to enter the Self-Select pin.    @lss1  

What is the difference between the five-digit Self-Select PIN I created last year and my Self-Select...

lss1
Level 2

I did not use turbotax last year and do not have my efile PIN. How do i get a new one this year?

@ lss1 wrote:

I did not use turbotax last year and do not have my efile PIN. How do i get a new one this year?

By "efile PIN" are you referring to the 5-digit Self-Select PIN from last year?  

When efiling, there are a couple of places in the filing section where TurboTax might ask you about a 5-digit PIN.   On the screen where you verify your efiling, TurboTax may ask you to provide either the 2020 AGI or your prior-year Self-Select PIN.  It's likely most people use the 2020 AGI instead of their prior-year PIN; i.e., you can choose the AGI field and use the 2020 AGI and leave the PIN field blank.

Or are you asking about a later screen (may be titled "Signature ID") that asks you for a 5-digit PIN and also has your birth date and today's date?   If so, that screen to sign your return says to use "any 5 digits of your choosing."   In that field you can either use the same PIN as last year (for those who still have it), or you can make a new one.  Whatever you enter there can be used again next year.

Yes, thanks to this chat. No thanks to TT, which leads you back to the page seeking the 5-digit e-file pin and provides no guidance how/where to enter the IP PIN. TT needs to fix its bad advice!

Thank you!!!! I was searching for where to enter the dang ip pin!!

Why turbo tax want let me type more 5 number e file pin on turbo tax program

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You are most likely trying to enter the PIN in the wrong section.

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to add your IP PIN.
How do I add or remove my 6-digit IP PIN?
What is my signature ID?
@Cwilliams4

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies