turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sharonk21

I am doing my daughter's return do I need a separate login to import for their tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am doing my daughter's return do I need a separate login to import for their tax return

When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee.  Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Can I use turbotax for myself and my son using 2 different logins

Yes.  Online is only good for 1 return.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version      <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288574</a>

When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee.  Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This is one of TurboTax's biggest misfeatures in my opinion. It is incredibly inconvenient for one user to have to have multiple logins and profiles. It's even worse when it's two spouses who are deciding whether to file jointly or separately -- to switch from one to the other is a major pain.

@noodad - that is the limitation of online accounts which are only good for ONE tax return.

The CD/download versions are much more useful - you can create as many tax returns as you want and can e-file 5 federal returns for free (state e-file is additional).     It also has "what-if" so you can compare different filings options.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

The Desktop program you buy and install the program which can do unlimited returns.  The returns are only saved on your computer and can not be accessed from anywhere else.  And not saved at Turbo Tax.  So Be sure to save Frequently and make backups.  You get 5 federal efile for free.  In Deluxe and above you get 1 state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns (in that state).  Each state return including the first one is 19.99/24.99 to efile or you can print and mail the state for free.

Desktop also has many other features and advantages over the Online version.  You can do more than 1 return.  You can see and enter into the actual forms.  And you can use a lower version because all the Desktop versions have ALL the same forms.  You just get more help in the higher versions.  In online you have to upgrade to enter certain kinds of income.  Like Premier for investments.

See Desktop here, <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/...>

For Joint vs MFS
It is usually better to file Joint. Joint has the lowest tax rates and the highest Standard Deduction.   And if you are in a Community Property state MFS gets tricky to figure out.  Here's some things to consider about filing separately……

In the first place you each have to file a separate return, so that's two returns.  And if you are using the Online version that means using 2 accounts and paying the fees twice.  

Many people think they come out better when filing Married Filing Separate but they are probably doing it wrong.  If one person itemizes deductions then the other one must itemize too, even if it's less than the standard deduction, even if it is ZERO!  

And there are several credits you can't take when filing separately, like the
EITC Earned Income Tax Credit
Child Care Credit
Educational Deductions and Credits

And contributions to IRA and ROTH IRA are limited when you file MFS.

Also if you file Married Filing Separately up to 85% of your Social Security becomes taxable even with no other income.

See …….
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately">https...>

@macuser_22 Agreed, but then the returns have to go into separate .tax files, which leads to the same problem as the online version. And the what-if scenarios are nice, but having the what-if scenarios is less useful than actually being able to ask TurboTax to execute the what-if scenario (for example, if filing separately comes out advantageous, then I can't just ask it to file two returns; I would have to create a new user ID or .tax file and start from scratch with the new one)

Comparing joint to separate "what if" is not very accurate.  The best and accurate way is to use the desktop version and create three .tax files.   Two for separate returns and one joint return.    There is no way to combine returns or tax files.  Doing that online would require three test accounts.   

There are just too many variables and the software would need to be very complex to do that automatically for a feature that most people do not need.    More complex software adds to the cost and time to apply updates increases.    Income allocation for filing separate in community property states is very complex, depends on state law and individual circumstances.

These features have been asked for many times in the past but are not cost effective to develop for a very small market - that is a marketing decision.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies