Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will Turbotax put Maryland's RELIEF act into effect and remove unemployment income from filers' FAGIs?

HOW?

Maryland code, i.,e.  ww, vv, zz, etc?

Other?

Thanks

When will Turbotax put Maryland's RELIEF act into effect and remove unemployment income from filers' FAGIs?

Not sure, must be a glitch because I was able to amend my federal and state. The information from Federal transferred to my state for the unemployment subtraction.

Software.

That is NOT true stop spreading LIES.  MD updated their forms on April 15th,  Turbo Tax has done nothing with it yet, most likely will not.

cj48
Level 2

TurboTax Maryland update is ready!!!

The official page says so : 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/internal-revenue-service/help/how-is-my-state-taxing-unemployment-... 

Thank you!

I'm confused…I filled out my updated TurboTax Home & Business (macOS) today, May 9, and in the state review section (Maryland) there's a part here:

ttmd.jpg

What do I enter, the total amount (blacked out) or the total amount minus 10,200?

YOU SHOULD NOW HAVE ACCESS TO MARYLAND FORM 502 L U.

THIS SHOULD SOLVE THE MARYLAND UNEMPLOYMENT ISSUE.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@johnnytucats We are not able to accurately answer your question without knowing what was blacked out.

It appears you received more than $10,200 in unemployment and the difference was included on your federal income tax return because it was not exempt.

Maryland's unemployment rules are different from federal. Any amount of unemployment compensation in excess of $10,200 that is included at the federal level is eligible for the subtraction at the Maryland level, subject to Maryland’s income caps for the subtraction.

Taxpayers who qualify for the federal exclusion, but do not qualify for the Maryland subtraction, need not add back the amount excluded from FAGI; the exclusion flows to the Maryland return.

Qualifying unemployment includes unemployment  compensation from Maryland or from a jurisdiction with which the State has a reciprocal taxation agreement may be subtracted. Maryland has reciprocal agreements with Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and the District of Columbia. 

See: Maryland RELIEF Act 04-20-21

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dave5550
Returning Member

So, my problem is that I subtracted the $10,200 from my total 2020 unemployment compensation and put in that resulting figure of $7,692 fine when doing the MD unemployment section on TurboTax.  However, when I did the final MD check, it says that I should put in 0 instead as "Form 502LU: Amount of Maryland benefits received from unemployment compensation Federal Adjust Gross Income of $79805.00 exceeds the limit. This field should be blank".  But, the only reason my **bleep**I is above $75K is because of the unemployment I received above $10,200 not excluded on the federal side that is supposed to be completely excluded on the MD state side.  So shouldn't I get to exclude the additional $7,692 as opposed to $0?  My total unemployment compensation was $17,892 for 2020.  Should I override Turbotax's suggestion and put $7,692?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The federal allows the subtraction if it puts your income under the level, using your modified AGI. The state of MD does not have the same wording. See page 2 at Maryland Unemployment Assistance FAQs Final - Comptroller.  Whereas IRS clearly states modified AGI in New Exclusion of up to $10,200 of Unemployment

The program subtracts the federal- if qualified, handles the MD state and does the work for you. You do not qualify for MD subtraction.

@Dave5550

No me forgave all unemployment tax so u renter whatever amount your unemployment was 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Maryland TurboTax calculations are correct and up-to date for your state. You can go ahead and finish and file your state return.

The tax deadlines of the Maryland Tax filing has extended to July 15, 2021. 

For more information, click here:  Maryland

PN9
Returning Member

When can we expect an update to Maryland State Tax forms?

Any update on this Maryland Tax updates being completed?Any update on this Maryland Tax updates being completed?

What about the 8582 form when will y'all fix this glitch ? It keeps saying me abs my friend need it to file but neither of us have had rental properties ever I can't file till y'all fix this Ans am about to go ti another preparer 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies