Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the $10,200 of unemployment tax exemption go into effect?

there may be an update scheduled for 3/26, but TT has not indicated that this will be in the updated or that it  has been scheduled for any update.  they just keep saying coming soon. did anyone in TT communicate with you that it was in the 3/26 update?

The Desktop program usually updates every Thursday.

Cmara2k9

Ok so I went into the free version of turbotax and did my taxes before the new bill was signed into law. So my taxes were done but i never FINISHED and FILED my taxes. So I log back into today and im wondering do I have to do anything else? I noticed that I previously owed federal taxes and now i don't. Did it automatically adjust or something.  Also the state taxes stayed the same as they were before. So im confused as to whether turbo tax automatically adjusted federal and state or do I still have to make some changes. Really confused 

The online software has updated for the change for taxing unemployment.   You have not mentioned what state you are in so we do not know if there should be any difference in your state refund or tax due.  The law that just passed was for tax on a federal return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Cmara2k9 wrote:

Ok so I went into the free version of turbotax and did my taxes before the new bill was signed into law. So my taxes were done but i never FINISHED and FILED my taxes. So I log back into today and im wondering do I have to do anything else? I noticed that I previously owed federal taxes and now i don't. Did it automatically adjust or something.  Also the state taxes stayed the same as they were before. So im confused as to whether turbo tax automatically adjusted federal and state or do I still have to make some changes. Really confused 

The IRS says NOT to amend - they will do it and send you any additional refund.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If you have not filed yet it sounds like it applied the update to your return and you are good.  Don't know about state.  Each state is different how they deal with the unemployment.  But check your federal return over, then go through the state tab again for state to update.

Cmara2k9

Spoiler
I'm in NYS and never got any taxes withheld. Currently it says I still owe 500. Does that sound about right?

The tax exemptions has been passed.

When will Turbo Tax update. It has been one week.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. The exemption for the first $10,200 of unemployment is available in TurboTax Online. After entering your information, you can verify the exemption by going to Preview My 1040 and looking at your tax form.

• Click Tax Tools in the left column.
  • Click Tools.
  • Select View Tax Summary in the center.
  • Go back to the left column. Select Preview my 1040.
  • Form 1040 will display. Use the slider bar to the right of the form to move up and down.
  • When you are finished viewing, go back to the left column and select Back

$10,200 exemption

**Please click the thumb icon to give cheers

**Click "Mark as Best Answer" to mark this as a solution

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
crokitski

What if you already filed your taxes and received your refund? Can you give a quick explanation of what steps to take now with the unemployment tax change? I used the online TT version. My state did not change (PA) as it never taxed UC to begin with. 

if you filed already wait.  according to the irs  they are making adjustments themselves and will send you the updated amount

Dready

Yes the advice from the IRS is to wait if you have already filed. Additional refund (if any) will be sent back to you automatically and in fact amending your return might delay it. I am waiting to file once TT gets its act together. It changes a $95 current  liability to a 2000+ refund. I am in Virginia which does not have a state tax so that isn’t changing. 

Hi @ErnieS0 , I see the UCE and -10,200.00 in my Schedule 1 Line 8 now but my Federal return amount hasn't changed from before the update. If I received $15,000 in UC and the new plan makes the first $10,200 exempt shouldn't my Federal return increase? Is this a glitch in the Turbotax software update? 

Thanks,

Mike

@ApMike wrote:

Hi @ErnieS0 , I see the UCE and -10,200.00 in my Schedule 1 Line 8 now but my Federal return amount hasn't changed from before the update. If I received $15,000 in UC and the new plan makes the first $10,200 exempt shouldn't my Federal return increase? Is this a glitch in the Turbotax software update? 

Thanks,

Mike

$15,000 minus $10,200 equals $4,800

The amount from Schedule 1 Line 9 flows to the Form 1040 Line 8.  Is $4,800 on Line 8 of the Form 1040?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Hi Mike. Without knowing details about the rest of your income, I can't say. It's possible, for example, that you had $0 tax liability (Form 1040 line 16) beforehand including the employment so lowering your income did not do anything. Or you may have had some tax credits. Many tax credits do not get added to the refund if they are not fully utilized, so reducing unemployment income may have just added unused tax credits.

That's not to say either of those things happened.

You can try deleting and re-entering your unemployment.

You can schedule a Live Review with a Tax Expert who can go over your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies