Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the $10,200 of unemployment tax exemption go into effect?

Do you know when we can expect to see the update on the desktop version?

Hi I went into the site hit amend return and they calculated the new return. Says I can file 3/25.  So I am all set.

anyone with facebook.  post on their site that the desktop version isnt updated.  more people that show their indifference and lack of communication the better.  publicity is what gets them to move.  

https://www.facebook.com/turbotax

ejssGasc
Returning Member

CPA reported on news tonight that the $10,200 unemployment  exemption is effective.  However, when I updated turbo tax no exemption given when calculating taxes.

I don't understand why the software has not been updated yet. At the office we use Lacerte (professional version of TurboTax) and it was updated on Thursday.

Not happy TurboTax

The online version has been updated.  I suspect the desktop version will be updated with the  next scheduled desktop update on March 26.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

So when will turbo tax complete the update?  H&R Block has already completed theirs .

The federal government should release a free version similar to TurboTax for us to pay our taxes.  The idea we have to pay a for-profit corporation money in order to pay our federal and state taxes is absolute insanity.

We can’t even deduct the cost of this software from our taxes anymore…

@Tony-In-Chicago 

if you qualify to use it, there is another full-featured free version of the software:

Try Free File: 

You qualify if your income was $39,000 or less, or $72,000 or less if active duty military, or if you qualify for Earned Income Credit

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-turbotax-free-file-program

Or—-Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Maybe next year many individuals , including me, will take look again at H&R Block software ( NYSE: HRB) , and maybe we will pleasantly surprised. 

Every day that passes without a communication and a software fix, frustration and dissatisfaction increases . If TurboTax (NASDAQ: INTU) does not want to see a possible drop in revenue next year, I would suggest to apply the fix that it was provided for the online editions also to CD/Download editions, without further delays.

Thank you for sharing this information, unfortunately I don’t qualify.  I never served in the military, and I don’t have children.

njbod
Returning Member

UI waiver passed and signed into law.  When will turbotax have info on how and what to do about it before filling 2020 tax return.

@njbod wrote:

UI waiver passed and signed into law.  When will turbotax have info on how and what to do about it before filling 2020 tax return.

As previously stated on this thread -

The online version has been updated.  I suspect the desktop version will be updated with the  next scheduled desktop update on March 26.

publicity will get them to act.  post on their facebook page asking for the date and when they give you the bs response on subscribing to get an email, remind them that the bs notification is after the fact. you want the date.  i have been back and forth with them and all they say is

We apologize for the inconvenience

Please continue to check for product updates throughout the week.

I am only one person, if several hundred/thousand post on their facebook, it may get a real response rather than the bs

Online and desktop are not the same. 

Online is simply a code change in TurboTax's OWN web server that they can done anytime.

Desktop updates must be complied and packaged for 4 different Windows versions and 4 different Mac versions. The Mac update is about a 220MB file that can take an hour to download on a slow internet connection (that many still have have to pay by the MB) and 1/2 hour or more to install. Too many updates is very time consuming and inconvenient for many desktop users.

Because of this and other delays is one of the reasons that the IRS delayed the filing date form Apt. 15 to May 17, to give extra time to file because of tax law changes.

There is a desktop update currently scheduled for 3/26.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies