turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What should i do if i over paid the irs thinking i was paying off my state return on the irs website?

i signed up for a payment plan when filing taxes and paid my federal off completely. i was not aware the payment plan with irs.gov would not automatically go towards my state return and am now getting letters from the Virginia Dept of Taxation. How do i get my money refunded from the irs?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

What should i do if i over paid the irs thinking i was paying off my state return on the irs website?

if you have overpaid your taxes with the IRS, they will refund it unless you have unpaid or unfiled taxes from other years.  you can use this IRS website to check on the status of your account.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

or call IRS 800-829-1040

First choose your language.
Then 2
Then 1
Then 3
Then 2
When asked for SSN do nothing it will ask twice
Then 2
Then 4
You should then be transferred to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.

pay Virginia as soon as possible because you only have so many days to pay before additional penalties and interest are added. 

If you can manage to pay VA you had better take care of that ASAP so that your penalties and interest stop adding up with the state.  The IRS and your state treasury are completely separate entities.  You cannot expect a payment you made to the IRS to go to your state.  You made a mistake.  

You will eventually get the federal overpayment back, but I would not expect it any time soon with the backlog the IRS is dealing with.  You can call the IRS---expect a very long hold time.

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

You must pay your state tax due using the state’s preferred method of receiving payment.  For most states that will be by making a payment to the state’s own tax website, or by mailing a check or money order.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901670-how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Unfortunately, the two agencies are quite separate.  If you paid the IRS more than you planned, it will be applied to your tax debts, and any excess will automatically be refunded, although it may take a while.  

Meanwhile, you still owe your state tax.  If you can't pay it in full, here's the link to apply for a payment plan from Virginia.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/paymentplan

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies