turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fbrahman

We used turbotax for past few years. Recently got divorced. Can we split the account so we can keep our filing history?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

We used turbotax for past few years. Recently got divorced. Can we split the account so we can keep our filing history?

Unfortunately, TurobTax accounts cannot be split or merged.  You both should start new separate accounts since you are no longer filing joint tax returns.
Make sure that you download all the PDF's and tax data file for the prior tax years so you will both have records of those years.
Carl
Level 15

No, that's not possible. If you will *not* be filing your 2018 return as married filing joint (and you won't if your legal status is not married on Dec 31 of 2018) then you will each need to start a completely new account. Both of you will need a printout of the 2017 joint return, because you will each be asked for information from that 2017 joint return, for your first 2018 "single" or "head of household" (if you qualify for HOH) return.
Under no circumstances should either of you use the old account and import "anything" from the 2017 joint return. If you do, chances are extremely high that your 2018 return will be wrong.
sakhter

Turbotax is giving me 2 options
1- "Ok, I'll start a new return" (after which it directs you to open a new account)
2- "'l keep this return and manually remove all the info that no longer applies" (after which it directs you to the next step in the same account)

So why can't I atleast continue with option 2 and atleast 1 of us gets to keep the account.
Carl
Level 15

You can. But do not under any circumstances elect to import anything from the 2017 return. If you do import, then all I can tell you is, you were warned. Also note that if you were the 2nd tax filer listed on the 2017 return in that account, and you're now going to use that same account to file as single, then you can expect major issues with e-filing from that account. Chances are high you won't be able to e-file too, then.

An Online account or a Desktop return?  You can not copy an Online return.  And  you wouldn't want to.  To now file as Single or even as Married Filing Separately you each need to start over fresh with new accounts and new returns and not transfer from the Joint return.  Neither of you should transfer from the Joint return.

Was your divorce final in 2018?   You both need to set up new accounts and not transfer from 2017.  You can't delete the other spouse from it properly.   See,  
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900134-what-if-i-was-divorced">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/...

ONLY if you were the first person listed on the return should you attempt the second option and even then you may not erase all of the spouse's info ... it is always better to start fresh with a new account.

Our recommendation is to create two new accounts.

You do have the option of having the first-named taxpayer, the taxpayer who was listed on the top line of the tax return, of continuing to use the TurboTax account. You have to be very careful to remove all outdated information pertaining to your ex-spouse.  But because of the possibility of missing some information that needs to be removed, we recommend against this.

The second-named taxpayer always has to start a new account.   For several reasons, the account can’t be cloned or duplicated, and the second-named taxpayer can’t move their name to the top in the same account. 

Carl
Level 15

Even for the first named taxpayer to continue using the account can present problems, depending on the income sources. For example, if there was rental property in years past, splitting the prior year's depreciation and the carry over losses can be a problem.
Optimistic
Returning Member

Not true, we did exactly this 3 years ago. Changed my ex husband to go from secondary to primary because all of our investment properties were in his name so he filed as primary not to lose all the depreciation and amortization data. Worked fine. 

@Optimistic If that worked for you without creating a total mess we are relieved for your sake --- but that would not be recommended to other users.   There are too many ways that can go sideways and make a real mess.   If you get divorced and want to continue to use online TurboTax it is recommended that you both start new accounts with only your own name and your own information.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Optimistic
Returning Member

Agreed, and I understand that it is recommended to make new accounts. But it is possible to do it, and certain users were saying you couldn’t. That is incorrect. You have to do it carefully, but especially in a case like mine where we had 7 investment properties with depreciation and amortization of multiple property improvements, it would have been a nightmare to redo both our accounts. 

Optimistic
Returning Member

And I’m referring to Opus 17 saying you can’t move the second line name to the first. You can, or at least in 2018, I did exactly that. 

@Optimistic When you change the order of the names ---that is all you change---and the other data that transfers over from the prior year stays where it was----so you can create a real mess by doing that.  You say you or your ex did this for 2019 and suffered no ill effects....maybe not....and maybe the mess has not yet surfaced....things that were previously under the spouse's name are now under his on that return.  Do not be surprised someday.

ORDER OF NAMES ON A JOINT RETURN  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901551-does-the-order-of-the-names-on-a-joint-return-matter

You can tell us all that you want that it did not cause a problem for you.     We know that it is highly likely to cause a problem and will not ever suggest to other users to just change the order of the names or to have one spouse take over a joint return and file as single when it entails changing the order of the names.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Optimistic
Returning Member

Again, not “recommending it” is different from saying you cannot do it. Warnings and caution are fine. I’d have wasted a lot of time if I’d listened to that “helpful” advice. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies