turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Upgrade from Freedom Edition

You cannot upgrade from the Freedom Edition, unlike the Free Edition. This is not a glitch, you must qualify to use this free product. You cannot use the same username and password as you do with your TurboTax account. 

If you filed a return using the Freedom Editon and now need to amend, etc. Here is how. Download the .taxfile from your Freedom Edition account and transfer the file into a paid version of the Desktop Product, CD/ Download. You cannot transfer the .taxfile into the Online edition. 

So every single year I need to create a new username? 

I spent a half hour easily using your format to complete my taxes and now it's been 45 minutes just to GIVE YOU MONEY to use the new form? I still need to start over AGAIN??? Yeah I'm done with turbo tax, this is ridiculous. 

So after spending an hour on the phone with Donnet from Tech Support, after waiting 5 hours for them to call me back, I was informed "...there is not a way to upgrade from Freedom Edition".  Their solution is to create a NEW Turbotax account and REDO my taxes in it's entirety!!  According to Intuit, there is not a way to migrate the data to the correct software that I need, which is the Self-Employed version, nor is there a way to upgrade from the Freedom Edition, only from the FREE edition. How asinine is that?! Intuit claims the IRS mandated the Freedom Edition to be a separate website from all of their other online softwares, but when I selected the software I needed at turbotax.intuit.com, and clicked on the "Start for Free" button like I have in the prior 7 years, it took me to the Freedom Edition.  Not realizing I would be LOCKED into the Freedom Edition FOREVER, AND knowing in the years past that I paid for the software version I needed to e-File at the END.  I had no way of knowing I was headed in a direction that non-reversible nor that it prevent me from e-Filing.  Now Intuit tells me from this day forward, I will be LOCKED into the Freedom Edition and the ONLY way out is to create new account.  I've used TurboTax since 2011 and NEVER had this problem!!  I will be contacting the IRS tomorrow to inform of them that the Freedom Edition is NOT a separate website as mandated and that because of this, my taxes are LOCKED inside it!  I'm supposed to be getting a call back from a Turbotax supervisor, but I'm not holding my breath!  GOODBYE TURBOTAX!  I WON'T BE USING YOU AGAIN!

maybe this will work , or maybe not, to help some folks.   Found it somewhere else.  So maybe you can save the freedom file.   Then get the deluxe/premier  etc and start with opening the file. 

You can save your 2018 online return anytime as a .tax file, for example if you need to switch your preparation method from online to the TurboTax CD/Download software.

1. Sign in and select Take me to my return if you're not already in your return.
  2. SelectTax Tools > Tools from the menu on the left (on mobile devices, tap in the upper-left corner to open the menu).
  3. In the Tools Center pop-up, select Save your 2018 return to your computer.
  4. The file will download with the name taxReturn.tax2018.
  5. (Optional) Locate the downloaded file and change the default filename to something more recognizable, for example JohnDoeTaxReturn.tax2018 (just make sure you don't change the filename extension to the right of the dot).

Your online return has now been saved in a format can be opened in the TurboTax software.

bob366

Same thing here! I've been using TurboTax since 2011, and always 'Start Filing', and it tells me by the end what product I need to pay for. I did the exact same thing I've done every year before, and somehow now I'm STUCK in this Free version, and now I can't file. This is absolutely ridiculous; and it certainly isn't a 'separate' website like the IRS requires, if it pulled up all of my current TurboTax info. It pulled in my previous info, but now it's stuck, and even trying to 'buy' Self Employed from the main website, and starting to file that way, still just kicks me back to Free File when it starts. If I have to create a new profile, it certainly won't be with TurboTax, and I will never be back. 

Yep, same thing.  Creating a new account was not an acceptable option.  My information from last year wouldn't carry over and I'd have to remember a different account for potentially multiple years of taxes.  They could have simply cleared out this year's info on my account and let me start again.  However, their IT dept is either lazy or incompetent.  I just switched to the big green competitor.  Done and filed.

jellybellyma
Returning Member

I am stuck in the same place... this is so incredibly frustrating! If TT is trying to chase away loyal customers this is definitely the way to do it!

Thissucks

Stuck in free file even though I used home and business last year....  Same deal no upgrade!  Called tech support and the "answer" was to crate a NEW account and start all over!!  NO WAY to import all of my 2017 data or business equipment depreciation info etc... was told I had to do ALL by hand!!!  

Come-on!!  Helped my son use Turbo Free edition and it CONSTANTLY tried to sell a an upgrade.

shragae

Finally, an answer!   This is a very bad customer support issue.  I've literally spent DAYS trying to figure out how to upgrade from the online free version...

If it isn't possible, as you say, then there should be a MESSAGE stating that it is not possible.    Users should get frustrated spending hours or days trying to do the impossible!

It is also a poor business decision on the part of Intuit.     Why wouldn't you want people to UPGRADE????

shragae

You've been very nice and tried your best to be helpful.  This isn't your fault, and I appreciate your efforts.

I was able to download (as if to print) my 1040. Can't I just print that and mail it to the IRS along with the 1040-V and a check for what I owe?

Hello fellow tax-payers,

Let's all agree that Turbotax won't be solving this issue, that their customer support while polite is insufficient (they were literally learning about their system while trying to help and ultimately offered to "clear the cache" which didn't work, and to start all over - Unacceptable) and that all criticisms listed below are rightfully correct. Because they are. Turbotax peeps, you gotta do something about this. 

Here's what I did:

1. Go to your Free version. Go to your returns, tools and download your taxes to your computer.

2. Now, go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/

3.  Product & Pricing > CD / download product

4. Choose one

5. Log in

6. Pay, download and install

7.  File, open tax return

8. Continue filing.

Took me a while to figure out but it worked for me. Good luck with your filing and to you turbotax, I'd appreciate a refund for the time wasted working a solution.

rocope2008
Returning Member

I just went through the same thing. After about an hour in the same loop, I gave in and decided to start a new account, but...

1-First I google Turbotax

2-Clicked on first ad that says "TurboTax Official site"

3-Start to scroll down the page, and the "Start for Free" will appear in orange, top right, next to  "Sign in"

Note: DO NOT go directly into that "sign in", link. It will send you on that loop all over again.

4- This takes you to the product page. Scroll down, select Deluxe (in my case). Start for Free!

5- Takes you to a page that asks about last years taxes. I selected "used TurboTax".

6-This takes you to log in screen. Log in with existing credentials. (trust me here)...

7- First screen that appears states your current product (Freedom), and asks if you want to upgrade.

8- Select yes. BAM! Turbotax Deluxe with all my current tax info!! Did not have to re-input a thing.

Enjoy!!

Steve DUB

You actually can upgrade and import your information.

1. Log into Turbo Tax Free Edition / IRS Free File Edition.
  2. Then open https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
  3. Click start for free on the product you are looking to use and you will see the following.
Welcome Back - We See You've Switched to TurboTax Deluxe
You were previously using IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, an IRS sponsored product to prepare your taxes this year. Now you have chosen to change into TurboTax Deluxe, a commercial product.
Are you sure you want to leave the IRS Sponsored IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax and enter a commercial TurboTax product?
Yes, switch to TurboTax Deluxe
No, stay in IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax

Select switch to product and you should be good to go.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies