turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I downgrade to Plus and finish filing without starting over?

I have already paid for Plus and entered my bank deposit info, but then clicked on the deluxe to see how my return would change. It's not enough to make sense so I want to stay at Plus but it won't let me downgrade now. I'm literally to the point of filing, and I DO NOT want to clear and start over.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, the only way to downgrade in TurboTax Online is to Clear and Start Over.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288495

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That's a horrible answer and makes me want to start over with a different provider if I have to start all over again. You pushed me into self-employed version then did not give anything better than the standard deductions.

@aaronfish4I am debating that right now. shocked when I saw an extra charge. Just doubled my bill. I will use someone else next year

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You can downgrade the TurboTax version you are using by using our clear and start over feature in TurboTax Online as long has you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

DAFFY155

Turbo tax is trash for doing it like this. For sure last year I file

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may be able to remove fees as well as downgrade to another version of TurboTax.

Review My Fees to find out what fee or fees that you are being charged. 

• Down the left side of TurboTax, click on Tax Tools.
  • Click on Tools.
  • Click on My Fees in the center of the screen. 

Now you can see what you have been charged.  This TurboTax Help will give you information how to remove a state tax return and/or charges that you do not want to pay.

To remove all fees and start over, you can click Tax Tools, then Clear and start over at the bottom left of the screen.

rsteven89

I agree. Horrible way of doing business. No more turbo tax after this. 

This literally just happened to me. I don't know WHY I'm I Self Employed. I've used TurboTax for years and would never have knowingly chosen Self-Employed. There NEEDS to be a DOWNGRADE option. 

The following does NOT allow you to remove fees related to versions. Nor can you remove / downgrade in the FILE section. 

"You may be able to remove fees as well as downgrade to another version of TurboTax.

Now you can see what you have been charged.  This TurboTax Help will give you information how to remove a state tax return and/or charges that you do not want to pay."

You can try to downgrade to a lower version but you will have to clear and start over.  If you have registered you might not be able to clear.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/can-i-downgrade-to-a-lower-priced-version-of-turb...

If you have registered or it won't let you clear to start over you can just abandon this account and start over with a new account.  How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Or see if you qualify for the Free File program.  You can start it at a special website.  It may even bring over your return so you don't have to start over.  Click on Sign In at the top right

https://freefile.intuit.com/

How to switch to the Free File website

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/00/...

Or one thing you can do is buy a lower version of the Desktop program like Deluxe.  Then you can switch from Online without starting over.  You can download the .tax2019 file from online for free and open it in the Desktop program (any version).  And the Desktop program has several other features and benefits over the Online version too.

How to switch to Desktop

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw...   

This answer is trash. Fix this problem!  

robb7979

Why would I say "Thanks" to that answer?  I'm already paying you to file my taxes, yet every 5 steps I'm pressured to upgrade.  THEN, I'm falsely told I NEED to upgrade, and the only way to undo it is to start over completely?  I've used Turbo Tax my entire tax life.  Until now.  If I have to re enter all of my information, it's with another company.  Get bent TurboTax.  You just lost a customer.

yea, when i came back to finish it looked like it had downgraded me so i tried to get back to premier... ended up in live, which i dont want and now cant go back

don't want to start over obviously, but i'm going to shop around first now before restarting... they really ought to fix this unless it is actually working to corner people into just accepting their highest price service or w/e, wicked

lol are you kidding, you can't implement a feature for this, and this is the official response i'm most definitely changing services now though i'm sure more people just give up and pay the extra 

i would too but on principle i cant, because it seems unethical like you're trying to corner consumers

you know probably 75% or at least better than half of people are just saying screw it and paying extra but how easy would it be to have a downgrade function lol they must be trying to take that money

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies