turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 3 W2s from two different States. How do I enter all 3?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Heather14

Did you live in two different states, or just work in two different states?  Also, are they from separate jobs, or do they reflect the amount earned from one employer?
o-mattie

two different jobs and two different states

@o.mattie

Same answer.....you finish putting in one, and when you get to the W-2 table you can add another.
If you worked as a non-resident in either of those states, you will have to file a non-resident tax return for that state (if that state has an income tax)....along with a resident tax return for your home state.
If you are a College student going to college out of state, are a dependent of your parents, and worked in that college state, then you file non-resident in the college state for that income, and Resident in your home state.  (living at college is a temporary absence..you do not "move" to the college state...unless, perhaps, you are no longer a dependent)
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

When you enter the information from each w-2, you will be asked for the state where the income was earned.  Other than that, there is no difference (all the same).  However, you may end up filing a state resident tax return for the state you live in and a non-resident state return for the state that you don't live in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies