Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax updated my software and it redownloaded, including requiring the license code, and all the prior work was deleted. How do I stop this next update?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbotax updated my software and it redownloaded, including requiring the license code, and all the prior work was deleted. How do I stop this next update?

When you last worked on your tax return, did the program prompt you to save the file? If so, try to run a search for your .tax file to see if you can locate it. 

The belowTurboTax Help Articles provide the steps: 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Are you on Windows or Mac?  In Windows you can change the update preferences.  If you are using the Windows Desktop program, the first thing I do after installing the program is change the Updater settings to ask me first.  To change the Windows program Update Preferences settings go up To Online - Updater Preferences

It really reinstalled the whole program?   It asked for the License Code again?  Make sure your computer is the same way when you originally installed it.  Like with no flash drives plugged in or plugged in if one was.  It asked me again so I just closed the program and took out a flash drive that was plugged in and tried again.  It worked.  Or you may need to connect a flash drive or printer or something that was connected when you originally installed the program.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies