turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbotax is only importing half of my Ally Bank 1099-INT's available when I compare them with the hard copies provided by the bank.

I am seeing the same problem with Marcus. 2 pages of text after the 1st account is probably what is causing the problem. Painful considering I have 15 pages (and 1 account per page) of data to enter after that...

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Turbotax is only importing half of my Ally Bank 1099-INT's available when I compare them with the hard copies provided by the bank.

Well here it is in 2021 and I cannot download all the information.  I only get 1 account out of 4.  This is really bad and destroys all faith in Turbo Tax; even if it is not their fault.  If this is not fixed, they should block Ally as a downloadable partner...or put up a warning.  I am assigning the blame 50/50.  This has been a known problem for several years.  I called Ally, and they knew "nothing" about this.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

We take your concern very seriously and wish to help address this.  Unfortunately, in this public forum, we do not have direct access to your account, so we invite you to please contact our TurboTax customer support. team to assist your further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mbk1
Level 2

Terukol:  Respectfully, Turbotax does not need to access anyone's data to address this issue with Ally Bank (and apparently with others), though I have only had issues downloading from Ally.  Multiple accounts do not download correctly from Ally.   But they appear to download correctly, leading people to file inaccurate tax returns.  As this thread demonstrates, this has been going on with respect to Ally for years and Turbotax has done nothing about it.  The problems is easily reproducible.  If this problem cannot be fixed Turbot tax needs to disable downloading from Ally to avoid incorrect returns and consequent interest and penalties.

You nailed it.  Thanks.

Terukol is correct.  One more observation: The Ally 1099-INT paper or PDF statement shows two accounts on page 1. This is immediately followed by a full page of instructions.  Then from page 3 to the end of the statement is the rest of accounts with their individual interest.  For me there are 26 total pages.  

For over 3 years, TurboTax has been loading the first page (two accounts). So, if a filer only has one or two accounts with Ally, TurboTax loads the 1099-INT correctly and everyone is happy.  However, if you have 3 or more accounts with Ally, the 3rd and above are put on pages 3 to the end of the statement and are separated from the first two accounts by a page of instructions. TurboTax does not load any accounts after the page of instruction.  So, the 3rd account and above are not loaded by TurboTax. 

For the previous three tax filings, I have had to manually enter 25 pages of 1099-INT.  I have reported this problem to TurboTax in multiple ways including email, calls to customer support and this discussion board.  Every time I report the problem, someone from TurboTax says it will be fixed but it has not. 

It is my suspicion, that Ally is putting something in the electronic file at the instruction page (page 2) which TurboTax is interpreting as the end of file / information.  So, one of two actions is required to fix this problem, 1) Ally needs to stop putting the interruption thing in the electronic file, or 2) TurboTax needs to stop interpreting that thing in the electronic  file as the end of file / information. 

I have to laugh at this a bit.  My browser tab indicates that this issue is "solved".  But the solution basically says that if you want an accurate accounting, don't use Turbo Tax.  This is not all that helpful.  A real solution would be nice.  I have had to pay penalties the last couple of years before I noticed this.

Always compare your TTax info with the actual 1099 to make sure everything matches....

I discovered the ALLY problem a few years ago - and pretty much figured out what was happening.  The TTax Import was reading the 1st page from ALLY and importing the accounts. Then when it hit the page with the "boilerplate" text - it decided that was the end, and stopped scanning any more pages - missing the rest of the remaining accounts ...

Third tax season with this problem, and TT can't even understand that the problem isn't on the user end. 

There is a problem in the interface between TT and Ally. Intuit and Ally should be able to fix this without any input from users.

This is absolutely NOT solved

2021 and THE SAME THING!!!! RIDICULOUS!!!! Ally was called....returned MY call...."yes it is a known problem but the issue is with TurboTax because it doesn't 'wipe' the information properly." I have multiple banks and multiple brokerages and multiple accounts with each under one login and guess what....THEY ALL WORK PERFECTLY EXCEPT ALLY! So some poor fool is going to buy this, think it works right because of all the hype and BS and then find that the IRS is auditing him because he did NOT report interest or dividend income! And entering manually is BS too because I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO...PERIOD!!! Of course ALLY says it is TT fault and TT says it is ALLY fault....

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Daniel-M- If your 1099-Int is not importing properly, click this link for info on How to Delete Imported Transactions.

This link provides info on How to Enter 1099-Int.

[Edited 2/17/2021 | 12:54 pm]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TT has software coders. ALLY has IT people and access to coders. Something is broke on one side or the other...period. It CAN be fixed but what I suspect is some kind of friction between TT and ALLY and I the consumer, the person that PAID for a PROPERLY OPERATING product pays the price for BS. Get some d***head off his butt and debug the problem and quit this infantile BS of blaming each other! I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ENTER THE 1099 MYSELF IF TT ADVERTISES IMPORTING! Good God...this has been an issue for several years!! There is NO justifying a half-assed product while raising the price year over year.

mbk1
Level 2

The problem is that things are set up so that it appears that Ally data is correctly input when it is not.  The user has every reason to think all is OK and to then file a return based on materially inaccurate data.  MarilynG1's response entirely misses the point.  The issue is not that a summary can be entered.  The problem is that the program leads people to file with bad data.  They have no idea that the data import is bad.

The principal fault here is with TurboTax.  Whatever failings Ally may or may not have in their programming, TurboTax knows that this is an issue.  They have an obligation to turn off the download feature that is not working correctly with Ally Bank until the issue is fixed.  I assume they don't want to do that because it is a selling point to be able to electronically link to as many banks as possible.

roshist

I completely agree this is an ongoing and unresolved issue on the Turbotax side of things. It is the Turbotax software that incorrectly imports the data from Ally and does not indicate any error to the user. A warning pop-up when importing accounts from Ally would suffice for now or any indicator to signal to the user that the software may be finicky when integrating with Ally. I barely caught the mistake by blindly trusting the software's import feature!

This is a serious flaw within the TurboTax software that should be fixed immediately but clearly Turbotax has ignored this reported bug for years now. It is an easily reproduceable import error that many users have reported. TurboTax needs to fix this import error or simply remove the import feature for Ally accounts until the problem is resolved. I wonder how many other TurboTax users have blindly trusted the import feature without being knowledgeable enough to double check the numbers? 

The response from Marilyn G. is nonsensical. It doesn’t address the issue even remotely and then talks about gains and losses. If you don’t even understand the problem, how will it ever be fixed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies