Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Deluxe 2021 for Mac crashed. It won't restart. I loaded a fresh version of the software. That won't run either. It checks for updates then crashes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax Deluxe 2021 for Mac crashed. It won't restart. I loaded a fresh version of the software. That won't run either. It checks for updates then crashes.

Daniel O. solved the problem. Many thanks, Dan!

The solution was to remove the application from the Applications Folder, then go into the Library and delete every file and directory relating to TurboTax 2021, and finally download and install a new version.

If others encounter the same problem, please note: The information Daniel O.  was kind enough to provide, headed "Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac," was dated July 27, 2021. I am running MacOS Big Sur (11.6). Consequently, two of the files weren't in the Library and one was in a different directory. Perhaps Intuit might consider updating that extremely useful page of information!

View solution in original post

101 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the link here to troubleshoot further: Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac download issues.

In addition to this, the help article TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed may provide additional insight as well.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Heather, Thank you for your prompt reply—much appreciated.

However, I'm afraid that neither link worked. Here's what happened in more detail: TurboTax Deluxe 2021 Desktop for Mac has worked perfectly for me for nearly two months. Then it crashed. There were problems with sending the error screen to Intuit, so I logged off. I tried again. Again it crashed.

I downloaded a fresh version of the software from intuit.com. However, the new copy crashes every time at the point where it checks for updates.

Thanks in advance for additional help!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for reporting this issue. We have escalated this experience for further investigation. In the meantime, you can also reach out to one of our TurboTax representatives as one-on-one support may be able to help resolve the issue as well. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

Daniel O. solved the problem. Many thanks, Dan!

The solution was to remove the application from the Applications Folder, then go into the Library and delete every file and directory relating to TurboTax 2021, and finally download and install a new version.

If others encounter the same problem, please note: The information Daniel O.  was kind enough to provide, headed "Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac," was dated July 27, 2021. I am running MacOS Big Sur (11.6). Consequently, two of the files weren't in the Library and one was in a different directory. Perhaps Intuit might consider updating that extremely useful page of information!

I am having the same issue. I had everything done with my taxes but had not filed. When I came back to review and file TT would not open. I trashed TT and reinstall with same issue. It loads and then crashes. I cannot open it. 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

For personal assistance with this experience, please contact Customer Support by clicking the link below.

What is the TurboTax phone number? - Intuit

Exact same issue. I have deleted and re-installed several times. There is no way to get answers. I am terribly frustrated.

Did you remove all the relevant Library files listed in "Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac" before loading and installing a fresh version?  One of those Library files seems to be responsible. I haven't been able to find out which, so you have to remove every single one. In case you can't find the article, it's at ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

I should mention that the problem recurred last week. I did what I described in my earlier posting, that is, I removed all the relevant Library files, then reinstalled TurboTax, and it worked fine. 

I am having the exact same problem and have tried the same remedies.  I have talked to 2 people in Technical Support and neither have been able to help resolve this problem.  The last one sent me to this blog which apparently ends with no resolution other than to contact technical support.  Right now the software is inoperable after the Turbotax update and useless.  

The only solution I came up with (with the 3rd tech support person I spoke with) was to request a refund and use the web version of the software to file. They are apparently not interested in making the download for Mac usable. 

Thanks, I'm beginning to arrive at that same point.  I actually have been using their software now every year since 1992 when it came on two (2)  3 1/2 floppies.  Never had a problem like this until now.  I've talked to two support agents and the second pointed me to this blog which apparently has no resolution.   I hope someone in engineering is paying attention to these blogs.  thanks again

@fishgutter  I have used them since 94. It appears you and I are experiencing the same thing. I like using their product, but realize that I will use the web version moving forward.  I have not yet heard back on the refund. The 3rd support person with whom I spoke could not process that for me. I filled out the form online and will see what the decision is.

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Here are some steps to fix your issue with the software crashing on your MAC:

• First, please make sure your MAC still meets the minimum system requirements, as the minimum system requirements have changed for 2021
  • Remove and re-install the software, keeping special attention on removing those plists
  • Reboot your computer

If this does not resolve your issue, Create a new user account on your MAC, with Admin Rights and open your software from the new account.

My Mac is perfectly up to date and I did all of the other suggestions (except creating a new admin user). The 3rd TurboTax support person I spoke with suggested using the web version of TT instead. That’s what I did 5 days ago and requested a refund for the download I paid for. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies