turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax Deluxe 2020 keeps crashing

Turbotax Deluxe 2020 keeps crashing when I try to start a return (click on the "Begin" button).  It has been updated to the latest version and I have updated my Windows 10 home. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If your program is still not allowing it to open, please click here to contact customer service. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was almost complete with my taxes in 2020 Turbotax and the software crashed. Now when I try to open it back up I get nothing, it will not open. I am using Mac OS Big Sur 11.2. This is the second time this software has crashed. The first time I lost all of my data but I was able to open it back up and start over again. The second time I can't even open the software. I hope I don't have to do my taxes for the third time! Please advise

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried clearing your computer cache? If you need assistance with doing so click here.

I've used TurboTax for years. This year's product however, crashes consistently. At first I could put up with it, as it just crashed when I tried to download the transactions from my brokerage accounts... However, now I'm currently not able to even open the product. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, followed the help articles on the TurboTax support site to completely remove the product from my laptop, which didn't work... And then even waiting on hold an hour to speak with support. Support tells me that it's a known issue, and that they can't send me a new download, since I purchased from Amazon, and the fix is to purchase a hard wired ethernet adapter to manually connect my laptop to a wired network. Don't waste your time...

@ stantonbms wrote:

I've used TurboTax for years. This year's product however, crashes consistently. At first I could put up with it, as it just crashed when I tried to download the transactions from my brokerage accounts... However, now I'm currently not able to even open the product. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, followed the help articles on the TurboTax support site to completely remove the product from my laptop, which didn't work... And then even waiting on hold an hour to speak with support. Support tells me that it's a known issue, and that they can't send me a new download, since I purchased from Amazon, and the fix is to purchase a hard wired ethernet adapter to manually connect my laptop to a wired network. Don't waste your time...

Is your product for Windows or Mac?  If Windows, is it 8, 8.1, or 10?  If it's Mac, what OS X version?

You may get some additional suggestions in this user forum when you answer my questions above.  But if it turns out later that you can't use your product at all, TurboTax has a 60-day moneyback satisfaction guarantee for the desktop software (CD/download), regardless of where purchased, that we can tell you how to invoke if that becomes necessary.

Xavious85

I'm no longer able to open the application on my Mac.  I was almost done with my taxes and it suddenly crashed.  I am no longer able to open the application now...

Xavious85

This is for the downloaded software, not the web version. 

I have downloaded and installed TurboTax Home and Business installed running macOS Big Sur 11.2.1.  I have tried reinstalling and working through dozens of "not responding" freezes/crash issues and have determined that the software is the problem without question.  When will this be fixed?  Or give me a refund on all purchases.

The product support for Mac seems to be terrible.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

@rlavigna Please contact customer support here for further assistance so that we can take a look at what is going on to better assist you.

I've had the same experience. I downloaded TT 2020 in Oct. December I "upgraded" the OS to Big Sur. Started taxes in Jan - all good. Then, a ~ week ago, it wouldn't open. Tried installing from the CD (purchased from Intuit). Loaded but wouldn't open. Spent an hour++ with nice but not very competent customer support. They even sent me another download, which I installed with the same result.  What saved my bacon was emailing the data file, thankfully saved and not lost, to my wife's PowerBook with old (Catalina) OS. It loaded and worked (with some quirks) well enough to finish up. I think it had something to do with a Big Sur patch auto-installed in February that isn't compatible with TT 2020. Very poor coordination on the part of these two major players.

Ditto!

Windows 10, installed fine. I get to where I have to submit a netfile and continuously crashes at that spot. Can't actually submit my taxes.

@ Thundercattt wrote:

Windows 10, installed fine. I get to where I have to submit a netfile and continuously crashes at that spot. Can't actually submit my taxes.

You used the term "netfile."  Netfile is a Canadian term.  Are you preparing a TurboTax Canada return, or are you a Candian preparing a US tax return with a USA TurboTax product?  

This is the USA community forum.

For help with a TurboTax Canada return, here's the Canada TurboTax Community forum:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/turbotax-support/help/03/en-ca

Yes I'm using the Cdn version, but crashes also so it isn't just a USA issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies