Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My security code to activate my 2019 software does not work

Sorry...  Running Windows 10 Pro

Update:  received new software.  Uninstalled the old one.  Followed the directions to forcefully remove the old one. After installing the new one was never prompted for a key and the problem still persists

@ Chicago_JP 

Aw, shucks.  I was hoping you were using Mac, which might have had an easy fix for the situation.

I don't have any other suggestion re: Windows version.  So you'll have to keep watching this thread and/or phone TurboTax Support again and ask to speak to someone in Tech Support.   We've also notified a Moderator to review your issue and Customer Support experience.

By the way, before you downloaded the Illinois state program, have you rebooted (restarted) your computer?   And have you run the program updater to get the latest updates?  i.e., has your program been updated since you installed the new software?

Apparently TurboTax (Intuit) learned nothing from the last fiasco when they added poorly thought out DRM to their product. I had tons of issues that year and cancelled my auto  send authorization and used different products for as I recall 2 years until they saw the light and stopped this nonsense. Looks like it will happen again. I like the product but not enough to jump through hoops to use it or having them install malware on my machine. Goodbye.

The activation code bug is not the only problem.

Turbo Tax 2019 is slower than ever, try editing any 1099-INT entry and see how long it takes before it updates.

It is even worse when you have both the Federal and State installed. (In my case the state of California).

It takes minutes just to edit any entry. 

For comparison I tried the same operation using H&R Block program and the change are immediate without any delay.

This year I paid for both programs Turbo Tax and H&R Block, but for sure it will be an easier choice net year.

Intuit needs to clean up the crew of bad programmers that are currently working on TT. 

I've used TT for many years, but now it reached a point beyond repair.

It is worse than the "Climate Change" 🙂

My security code for Business version didn't work either.  Purchased and downloaded from Amazon on a Windows 10 PC.  I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still didn't work.  Out of frustration, I shut down my computer for the night and decided to deal with it this morning.  I again attempted to activate after the PC overnight shutdown and it worked!  My Business TT is activated! 

KaylaS
Intuit Alumni

This error is caused by the Internet connection being unable to resolve connection to our server for license activation. There can be many reasons for this and they may not impact regular Internet usage and activity.

One of the following methods should resolve this issue. If they're successful, TurboTax will skip activation and open the starting screen where you can begin or continue your return.

If the product continues to prompt you for an activation code you have been unsuccessful.

Method 1: Temporarily disable your antivirus/anti-malware/firewall software

Disabling software that can block our program from connecting to our activation server can quickly resolve this issue. You may also want to work with the provider of your software to assist in whitelisting TurboTax to allow it to connect to the Internet.

This includes disabling proxy and VPN connections to the Internet.

Method 2: Restart your router/modem

1. Remove the power cord from the router and modem.
  2. Wait at least 10 seconds after all lights on the router have gone out.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the router.

Method 3: Configure the TCP/IP settings

Disclaimer: These settings are typically the default settings for most users. However, if you're an advanced user and have made changes regarding Internet protocol settings, follow these steps:

1. Select Start and Control Panel.
  2. Select View network status and tasks under Networking and Internet.
  3. Select Change adapter settings.
  4. Press and hold (or right-click) Local Area Connection and select Properties.
  5. Select Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) followed by Properties.
  6. Select Obtain an IPv6 address automatically, then Obtain DNS servers address automatically, followed by OK.
  7. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and Properties.
  8. Select Obtain an IP address automatically, then Obtain DNS servers address automatically, and OK.

Method 4: IP config command line tool

Disclaimer: These steps should be completed by an intermediate to advanced user of Windows. If you aren't comfortable making these changes, consult a local IT professional.

1. Select Start, enter command prompt in the Search Programs and files box, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.
  2. At the command prompt, enter the following commands. Press Enter after each command.
    • ipconfig /flushdns.
    • ipconfig /registerdns
    • ipconfig /release
    • ipconfig /renew
  3. Launch TurboTax.

If you're still experiencing issues after following these steps, contact a local support technician for additional assistance.

Leesawee1

I did...two call backs and still no resolve!  They even sent a new download.  Uninstalled the first one. Installed the new one ti no avail!  This is extremely frustrating. Been working on this for several hours now!!

MsKristy
Returning Member

What operating system are you on? Windows or Mac, also if WIN, what volume is it please?

You need to uninstall everything before reinstall. Delete all folders, not just uninstall software. 

Yes. I also have the same issue. After a windows update or TurboTax update, ask to enter the license code again. Then the code does not work any more. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If your license code isn’t working to activate the TurboTax software, it may be because you’ve entered it incorrectly. Please click My code doesn't work to assist you with your license code not working. 

If you continue to have problems, please click here to for What is the TurboTax phone number https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number so that an agent to assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jernal

I receive the following code:

There was an error with validating your license code, please try again. Error code: 630

I have tried several different downloads, a cd, etc. Running 64 bit Windows 10 with the most current updates.

Anyone else having this issue?

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

To best resolve this issue, please click here to get in contact with customer care. Please be sure to enter the correct product, edition, and a detailed description of your issue. If you see a message that says "We can't find an answer to your issue", please click the "Try Something Else" drop down. Once you fill out the form you will be given a service ticket number and a phone number to contact customer care.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I googled the issues and found this thread as I joined the activation issue crew last night. Called customer service today, he thinks I'm lying and trying to activate the CD on 25 different computers. He also argues this is for personal use, not for multi-person use. The rep also does not have any visibility on what computers the serial number has been activated on. 

The activation actually installed and activated on wife's laptop and my desktop fine. And the activation worked the first time when I did the CD install on a third computer (work laptop). After the software update, I re-started, software asked for the activation again, and it advised it has been installed on 5 different computers.  

I am by no mean rich, but I can afford $30 software, I don't need to spend 35+ min during work hours waiting on the phone and have a rep accusing me of lying. And I certainly don't need to rant about any of these in an online forum if it was working as it should. I was merely trying to find a solution. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies