Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TURBOTAX 2017 INSTALL ERROR 1326

I have tried ...

• reload
  • running as an administrator
  • TurboTax RegPermissionsFix3
  • rebooting
  • running in selective startup
  • system scan

No joy -- any ideas.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hey guys, couldn't find anything useful so I decided to poke around. It turns out the answer was right in front of me if I knew where to look.

For Windows 10 ...

First, you will find the logs located at C:/UserName/ProgramData/Intuit/TurboTax/MSI/TY/XX/Logs folder where XX is the tax year.

Second, you find the log that matches the error code message. In my case, the message referred to "WinPerRelease.MSI."

Third, you find the corresponding log. In my case, it was "WinPerReleaseEngine.msi_log.txt"

Fourth, you say "bloody hell" when the message says, "Error 1326. Error getting file security:

C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Common\Update Service\ GetLastError: 5"

Fifth, you cruise on over to the directory entry and right click the folder, click properties, click the security tab, click advanced, and look under the Owner entry. In my case, the folder was owned by my username. Click  the change icon and change the file to have "Administrators" as the owner which will appear as username/Administrators -- and the permissions should indicate "full control access."

Run the installer again with administrator privileges (right-click the installer icon and click run as administrator."

And now that you own the rights and permissions -- the problem goes "poof."

What would have been nice is if the programmers at TT changed the error message to be more meaningful and quit displaying the general error message 65535. In fact, I had to push screen print because the first error message was quickly obscured by the second one.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hey guys, couldn't find anything useful so I decided to poke around. It turns out the answer was right in front of me if I knew where to look.

For Windows 10 ...

First, you will find the logs located at C:/UserName/ProgramData/Intuit/TurboTax/MSI/TY/XX/Logs folder where XX is the tax year.

Second, you find the log that matches the error code message. In my case, the message referred to "WinPerRelease.MSI."

Third, you find the corresponding log. In my case, it was "WinPerReleaseEngine.msi_log.txt"

Fourth, you say "bloody hell" when the message says, "Error 1326. Error getting file security:

C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Common\Update Service\ GetLastError: 5"

Fifth, you cruise on over to the directory entry and right click the folder, click properties, click the security tab, click advanced, and look under the Owner entry. In my case, the folder was owned by my username. Click  the change icon and change the file to have "Administrators" as the owner which will appear as username/Administrators -- and the permissions should indicate "full control access."

Run the installer again with administrator privileges (right-click the installer icon and click run as administrator."

And now that you own the rights and permissions -- the problem goes "poof."

What would have been nice is if the programmers at TT changed the error message to be more meaningful and quit displaying the general error message 65535. In fact, I had to push screen print because the first error message was quickly obscured by the second one.

Hello -

I am getting the "1326" error when installing TT Deluxe 2018 on a Windows 10 machine.

I followed the thread and made one change but still cannot get a successful install. 

Which directory should I check for the correct group permissions?

Error Installing C:\Users\Tom\AppData\Local|Temp\ckz_QE3C\TurboT

ApplicationController: MSI Install Exception occurred: Microsoft Installererror: 1326, with error code: 1326.

Stack trace:   at InTuit Tax.installers.Setup.MSiHelper.InstallMSIPackage(Boolean install, String msipath, String cmdline, IntPtr ownerWindowHandle, Boolean userCanceled) at Intuit.Tax.Installers.Setup.MsiHelper.InstallProduct(MsiProductInfo product, IntPr owner...  

Error Code: 1326

- Tom

Dave L

Although, the 'solution' was informative, it did not solve the problem for me.

Success came after a long support session with TurboTax technician engineer NGOZI; 

My situation installing 2018 TurboTax Premier on Windows 7 pro 64-bit system.

(some folders may be hidden)

navigate to the folder:                       c:\programdata\intuit

right click on folder:                           TurboTax 

select option:                                       Properties

Click on the  tab:                                 Securtity

Click on the button:                            Edit

Scroll to select:                                     Users (your system name)

Select 'check' box to:                          Allow Full Control

Click on button:                                   Apply

FIXED!

Function

This happened to me while running the installation in Sandboxie virtualization. Doesn't seem to be very compatible with the installation

areselle
Returning Member

I followed these instructions until I get to the log, and I have not txt files there, and I didn't get an error code or message other than this:  Error Getting file security C: ProgramData\Intuit\GetLast Error : 5.  Any sugestions? 

areselle
Returning Member

PS.  I'm running TY 22 on Windows 10.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you. 

@areselle

areselle
Returning Member

I spent almost 2 hours with a tech, re-installing program several time in different ways and the same error came up. I have TT 21, 20, 19 on computer that launch with no problem.  There's clearly something new about this years TT.  I've never had this error message with any other piece of software before or since.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

After you completed the installation, did you check for updates via the online menu item?

How do I update my TurboTax CD/Download software program?

@areselle

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
areselle
Returning Member

The installation process loads all the zip files on to the computer, but then the installation aborts and shows the noted security error.  So, the program never launches, and obviously updates are out of the question.  The tech sent me a 'fresh' program file and it did the same thing when trying to install.  I have TT 21, 20, 19 etc. on my computer, and I can launch them, so this is an installation problem unique to TT 22.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If the fresh file is going into the same error, you may want to try temporarily pausing any antivirus/malware software you have to complete the installation. 

@areselle

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies