Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hey guys, couldn't find anything useful so I decided to poke around. It turns out the answer was right in front of me if I knew where to look.

For Windows 10 ...

First, you will find the logs located at C:/UserName/ProgramData/Intuit/TurboTax/MSI/TY/XX/Logs folder where XX is the tax year.

Second, you find the log that matches the error code message. In my case, the message referred to "WinPerRelease.MSI."

Third, you find the corresponding log. In my case, it was "WinPerReleaseEngine.msi_log.txt"

Fourth, you say "bloody hell" when the message says, "Error 1326. Error getting file security:

C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Common\Update Service\ GetLastError: 5"

Fifth, you cruise on over to the directory entry and right click the folder, click properties, click the security tab, click advanced, and look under the Owner entry. In my case, the folder was owned by my username. Click  the change icon and change the file to have "Administrators" as the owner which will appear as username/Administrators -- and the permissions should indicate "full control access."

Run the installer again with administrator privileges (right-click the installer icon and click run as administrator."

And now that you own the rights and permissions -- the problem goes "poof."

What would have been nice is if the programmers at TT changed the error message to be more meaningful and quit displaying the general error message 65535. In fact, I had to push screen print because the first error message was quickly obscured by the second one.

View solution in original post