Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax with a Chromebook

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a Chromebook.

Normally, the following options are available: 

Option 1 - Turbo Tax can be run over the web - online.  This is what I have done in the past.

Option 2 -  Turbo Tax software can be purchased/downloaded and run from a my pc.

If I purchase a Chromebook, which of the above options can I use?

Are there any issues/problems with either or special procedures?

Many thanks,

Donald Jones

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ShawnK

You can use TurboTax online because you will be using the Chrome browser which is supported.  No, software other then Google Apps purchased through Google Web store will work.  You will not be able to install our software on a ChromeBook.  I hope this helps and you enjoy using TurboTax on your new Chromebook.

View solution in original post

DoninGA
Level 15
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

@kevin_n_davey wrote:

Chrome 61.0

That is why the program is rejecting your browser.  You need Chrome 73.x or higher.

View solution in original post

57 Replies
ShawnK

You can use TurboTax online because you will be using the Chrome browser which is supported.  No, software other then Google Apps purchased through Google Web store will work.  You will not be able to install our software on a ChromeBook.  I hope this helps and you enjoy using TurboTax on your new Chromebook.

Thanks for the reply.
Last year, at the public library, I used the Chrome browser and completed my taxes with Turbo Tax.
All went okay.
I was hoping I could install Turbo Tax on the cloud or my flash drive if I bought a Chromebook.
Thanks again.
mcminot

I have been using Turbo Tax on-line for the past 3 years on my Micro-soft desk top.   This year I purchased an ACER

Chromebook and was able to do my taxes on-line.  What you will need is your ID and password from last years

tax preparation , no download needed.  You do need and ID and Password for Turbo Tax.   

The current operating system requirements specify Windows or MAC, nothing is listed concerning the OS on a Chromebook.  If there is an option to somehow emulate either of the supported OSs or run in a compatibility mode it might work --but it is not supported.

Therefore, if I want to buy a Chromebook and use Turbo Tax, I shouldn't buy the software and download it.  I'll have to use  Turbo Tax as I have in the past.  Thanks...

Correct.
shehir

It seems you must have a Window or Mac to amend a tax return, which is important if you need to amend a return and only have a Chromebook. 

You can amend a current year online return using online.  But to amend a prior year you need to use the Desktop program which needs a full Windows or Mac computer.

shehir

Sorry, yes, that's what I meant a prior year.  Thanks for clarifying.

I’m a confused long-standing Windows user who is thinking of replacing my ailing laptop with a Chromebook.  I understand I will use the TurboTax on-line but do can I still import my investment info from my banks?  Where will my filings and support reports be stored?  Can I still print?   FLGrammy

@FLGrammy You can use a Chromebook with online TurboTax and it will work all right.  You will be able to import your investment data, etc.  When you use online TurboTax your tax file is stored online with TurboTax, but before mid-October you should always save your return as a tax file and as a pdf.  And if you have a printer connected with your Chromebook, of course you will be able to print your return.

What you cannot do with a Chromebook is use desktop software which must be installed/downloaded to the hard drive of a full PC or Mac.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And you can transfer from 2018 that's on your computer now.  So be sure to save the data file ending in .tax2018 on a flash drive or somewhere so you can transfer it into the online version.  

Also before you get get rid of the old computer you should save each year as a pdf file if you you haven't.  And then save all the .tax and .pdf files for backup.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2015, .tax2016, .tax2017 or .tax2018 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.

I have a new Google Chrome device (ASUS)  that runs Chrome 61.0. I have always used Windows with TurboTax and when I try and sign on with TurboTax on my new device I get 

Before we can start, it looks like you'll need a quick web browser update

and its gives me the Update Chrome option . I click on this and the message and click on download and get this message

Looks like you’re already using Chrome browser. Nice!

but I cannot open TurboTax in my browser. 

My chrome browser should support Turbotax so why cant I get passed this page?

Thanks

@kevin_n_davey You cannot download desktop software to a Chromebook--only to a full PC or Mac.  If you want to use a Chromebook to prepare your 2019 tax return, you can use online TT.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies