smith0913

Turbo tax is automatically selecting self employed for me... how do I change this? I am not self employed

MaxwellSmart

You are entering information that is making the system do that.     Figure out what that is, remove it and it will stop bumping you up automatically.

Did you get a 1099Misc for something?  That is usually for self employment income.

To downgrade you can try to clear and start over
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

MarilynG1

If you are entering a 1099-Misc with an amount in Box 7, that is considered to be Self-Employment income, and is reported on Schedule C, along with any expenses. 

Pay close attention to the questions after you enter your 1099-Misc. 

If this was a one-time gig, TurboTax will allow you to indicate that and report the income as Other Income.  When going through the questions in this section, indicate that this was 'not related to your regular job' and you had 'no intent to earn money' (they mean on a regular basis)

Type '1099misc' and then 'Jump to 1099misc' to get back to this section in TurboTax.