Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smith0913

Turbo tax is automatically selecting self employed for me... how do I change this? I am not self employed

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Turbo tax is automatically selecting self employed for me... how do I change this? I am not self employed

You are entering information that is making the system do that.     Figure out what that is, remove it and it will stop bumping you up automatically.

Did you get a 1099Misc for something?  That is usually for self employment income.

To downgrade you can try to clear and start over
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are entering a 1099-Misc with an amount in Box 7, that is considered to be Self-Employment income, and is reported on Schedule C, along with any expenses. 

Pay close attention to the questions after you enter your 1099-Misc. 

If this was a one-time gig, TurboTax will allow you to indicate that and report the income as Other Income.  When going through the questions in this section, indicate that this was 'not related to your regular job' and you had 'no intent to earn money' (they mean on a regular basis)

Type '1099misc' and then 'Jump to 1099misc' to get back to this section in TurboTax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies