Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2020 for Mac: crashes after initial install; won't run; crash log attached

UPDATE 2021-02-05: The problem went away and I was able to install and use TurboTax Deluxe 2020 for Mac after I updated to macOS 11.2, and downloaded the current file from Intuit (m_turbotax_1040d_ar_[phone number removed].dmg).

ORIGINAL: I downloaded Turbo Tax from Intuit, installed it, and ran it by right clicking on it, Open, then authorized it to run.  It crashed with no windows appearing.  Opened the Console> Log Reports> com.intuit.turbotax.2020.2021-01-08_04-37-25-7950000.log.  Deleting and re-installing produce the same result.

Problem: Crashes immediately on startup.

Product: TURBOTAX DELUXE TAX YEAR 2020 MAC W/STATE DOWNLOAD RETAIL

Install file: m_turbotax_1040d_ar_[phone number removed].dmg

System: 

System Version: macOS 11.1 (20C69)

Model Identifier: Macmini8,1

Memory: 32 GB

System Firmware Version: 1554.60.15.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.13030.0.0,0)

com.intuit.turbotax.2020.2021-01-08_04-37-25-7950000.log:

Blech! Can't set logger: com.intuit.cg.fs.common.logging.Log4jLogger
2021-01-07 23:37:26.591 TurboTax 2020[91756:6373338] tpsLocalPrinter.postMonoInitCall.Start
2021-01-07 23:37:26.592 TurboTax 2020[91756:6373338] tpsLocalPrinter.postMonoInitCall.End
2021-01-07 23:37:27.363 TurboTax 2020[91756:6373338] will create connection
2021-01-07 23:37:27.787 TurboTax 2020[91756:6373603] <NSHTTPURLResponse: 0x600000f9d800> { URL: redacted  } { Status Code: 200, Headers { ... }

2021-01-07 23:37:27.787 TurboTax 2020[91756:6373602] -[NSNull length]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fff80094390
2021-01-07 23:37:27.800 TurboTax 2020[91756:6373602] Terminate called after uncaught c++ exception:
0 TurboTax 2020 [phone number removed]6f101b PrintStackAndTerminateOnUncaughtCPPException + 59
1 libc++abi.dylib 0x00007fff20339847 _ZSt11__terminatePFvvE + 8
2 libc++abi.dylib 0x00007fff203397e9 _ZSt9terminatev + 41
3 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff201ca7db _dispatch_client_callout + 28
4 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff201cce1c _dispatch_queue_override_invoke + 777
5 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff201d9857 _dispatch_root_queue_drain + 326
6 libdispatch.dylib 0x00007fff201d9fb8 _dispatch_worker_thread2 + 92
7 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff20372453 _pthread_wqthread + 244
8 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x00007fff20371467 start_wqthread + 15

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
Bobdog42
Returning Member

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2020 for Mac: crashes after initial install; won't run; crash log attached

Same here on 10.15.7, Mac Home & Business

I recall TT 2019 did very similar and it took a few hours on the phone. Wish I'd taken notes.

Inexcusable.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

Please see the TurboTax FAQ for assistance with TurboTax Mac not opening after installed:

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed

Please also see the information below:

There are many factors that could influence the TurboTax program to crash. 

1. Please make sure you're connected to the internet in order to ensure software updates and full functionality of your TurboTax program.

2. Confirm you meet the system requirements for Mac. Confirm you meet the system requirements for Windows.

a. To install and update software on Windows, you need Administrations Rights.

3. The next variable to keep in mind is the antivirus and firewall software programs on your device.

a. Uninstall TurboTax.

b. Disable antivirus and firewall software programs before reinstalling.

c. Reinstall TurboTax.  

d. Re-enable antivirus and firewall after installing. (You don't have to disable them when using the program itself, only during installation.)

4. Manually update TurboTax.

If you are still experiencing issues within the program, please contact support to get personalized troubleshooting assistance.

If you get prompted to Send Error Report, doing so will help our technical team learn more about what you’re experiencing. Thank you!

"Community Manager GabiU"

dspaudeTT

I had a similar problem with the CD version. I had actually finished entering all tax info and went to preview the forms and it crashed (also wanted to download a command line utility--why?). From then on when I tried to re-launch it would crash after checking for updates and I could not get back to my forms. Deleted app, reinstalled from CD. Still crashed. So, I decided it wasn't the app itself but probably some preferences issue. Go to Finder, open new Finder window, navigate to home folder, type Command-Shift-. (period) to show hidden folders, go into Library, go into Preferences, find com.intuit.turbotax.2020.plish and move it to the desktop. Try launching again. It should work, but you'll have to re-enter your registration info. After that, open the tax file that you hopefully saved before it crashed. As I said, this seems to have worked for me with the CD version. I don't know how it works with the download/online versions.

bda0623

I had it working long enough to enter my wife and I's w-2 information.  Suddenly it crashed and an error box came up asking if I wanted to report the issue to TT.  I have not been able to launch it since.  It keeps asking me to drag it to applications and open it there.  It is stuck in this endless loop and won't open up.  Had the same issue on my Mac last year, gave up and loaded the windows version on my ancient laptop and it worked.  This is inexcusable!!  Probably going to switch to H&R Block software.

I've had these same issues the last couple of years.

Here is how I fixed it again this year.

Once you have the software installed and it keeps crashing then go to the GO menu, hold how the Option Key and select library.

Delete the following files.

• ~/Library/Application Support/TurboTax 20XX
  • ~/Library/Caches/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX
  • ~/Library/Caches/TurboTax 20XX
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.plist
  • ~/Library/Preferences/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.LSSharedFileList.plist
  • ~/Library/Saved Application State/com.intuit.TurboTax.20XX.savedstate
  • ~/Library/Cookies/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.binarycookies
  • ~/Library/WebKit/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX
  • ~/Library/Containers/com.intuit.turbotax.mac20XX
    • (This folder will only appear if you installed from the Mac App Store instead of a CD or download.)
  • ~/Library/ApplicationSupport/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.intuit.turbotax.20XX.sfl
    • (This folder will only appear for OS X 10.11, El Capitan.)

Once you've removed those files and folders:

1. Empty your Trash.
    • Check first to that there's nothing in Trash you want.
    • If you get any errors deleting the above folders from Trash, restart your Mac and empty Trash again.
    • Reboot your Mac
    • Start TurboTax and then enter in your serial number.
  2. There is something wrong with the App again this year if you enter the app before the software is installed.
  3. Hope this works for all.

Where is the GO menu?

Hi, I can't find a GO menu before it crashes.

The GO menu is not part of TurboTax but the finder in Mac OS.

The GO is at the top ribbon on your screen on your Mac.

Corruption could have occurred in the Application or in an associated preference or support file.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2019 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac
Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901209-reinstall-turbotax-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you so much! I'll be working on this over the weekend and hope your advice will work. I've been using TurboTax for years and never had a problem before.

After using TT all weekend without issue, I clicked on 'upgrade' button to go to Premier.  App crashed and prompted me to install developer type tool (which I declined).  Couldn't restart app.

Followed @jrauchbauer advice to uninstall all files/folders... twice.  TT restarted the FIRST time and allowed access to files, but the "You Hit a Snag" dialog box popped up again.  When I clicked "Send to TurboTax"on the error report, the application closed and now does not open again.  Trying a 3rd time to see if I can spot where issue might be. Help!!

spen586
Returning Member

Same issue   I’ve never had this immediate crash issue before. Been using TT on my Mac for 5 years 

Uninstall TurboTax using the procedure above, be sure that this is also removed of present as it WILL cause crashes.

Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

When I reinstalled and reopened, I found TT recognized the last files I had opened ... a sign I hadn't fully eradicated TT footprints.  I finally searched for com.intuit.turbotax.20XX anywhere on my machine and deleted these files or folders. In addition to the above, I found:

Library>Webkit>Databases>___IndexedDB>com.intuit.turbotax.20XX

/Library/Application

Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies