turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Who has had to file form 8962? Who can help me fill it out?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

My 1095-A and 8962 form is for 2018. Thanks
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax can help you complete a Form 8962 if you have received a letter from the IRS asking for an update.  Be sure to check if the letter references tax year 2017 or 2016. The form should have been generated when you entered your 1095-A into the Health Insurance section of Turbo Tax, but if for some reason it was not entered, these are the step-by-step instructions to add them.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6136902

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Here's how to handle Form 8962:

If you have received a letter from the IRS asking for form 8962, Form 1095-A (Letter 0012C) first, please check which tax year the letter references.  If your notice does not specifically ask for a recalculated page 2 of your 1040, you may disregard that part of the directions. You will only need to provide what the IRS requests in their letter.

Because you purchased your health insurance through Healthcare.gov or a state marketplace, Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit (PTC) should have been included in your return. It’s used to calculate the amount of your Premium Tax Credit and reconcile any advance payments you received to help pay your health insurance premium.

We’ll help you complete this form with Turbo Tax and you do not have to submit an amendment, just print off and return the forms which the letter specified.  If the letter is for tax year 2017, follow the directions below. If the letter is for tax year 2016 or 2015, please click on the link at the bottom.

1.       Sign In to Turbo Tax

2.       Click Tax Home, in the upper left. Scroll down to Your Returns and Documents 

a.       If you do not see options under that heading, look to the right and click on Show

3.       Make sure the correct year is underlined in blue

4.       Select Amend (change) return and then Amend Using Turbo Tax Online

5.       Do not click continue on the “We’ll help you change (amend) your return” screen. Simply go to the left menu and

6.       Click on the Federal and then the Health Insurance, at the top

7.       Answer the questions about your health coverage

8.       Select Yes, "Was anyone enrolled in any of these less common plans in 2017?" to enter your 1095-A form and generate an 8962 form.

9.       On the That’s all we need on your 2017 coverage screen,

10.   Click Done with Health

11.   Select Tax Tools, on the left menu

12.   Select Print Center

13.   Print, save, or preview this year’s return and click in the box to select federal returns

14.   Click on View or Print Forms to print the forms you need

15.   You can view the forms from here and select just to print the pages with

16.   Form 8962 and either Form 1040 or 1040A  (if needed)

a.     Or you can select forms filed with the government plus all worksheets

17.   Then, in the upper left corner of the pdf window, click on the download arrow and simply print those specific pages from your downloaded pdf or select the printer icon to print directly from this pdf window.

Mail the following to the IRS address on your IRS letter (or fax number)

• Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit
  • Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
  • A copy of the IRS letter that you received
  • (If your letter asks for it) Form 1040 or 1040A – make sure to sign and date Page 2 of the Form 1040 or 1040A

For letters for the tax year 2016, please see instructions below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5824742

For letters for the tax year 2015, please see instructions below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/5239521

You may also use the TurboTax Audit Support Center for additional help and information responding to the IRS notice.

View solution in original post

@Firecracker85

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Form 8962 is required if you had health insurance in 2019 through Healthcare.gov (or a state marketplace) and you received the Advance Premium Tax Credit.

Enter you 1095-A which provides information about your insurance policy, your premiums (the cost you pay for insurance) and the advance payment of premium tax credit then TurboTax will generate form 8962.

Follow the instruction to report your 1095-A form:

1. Log in to your account .
  2. Go to Deductions and Credits.
  3. Scroll down to Medical .
  4. Scroll down to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A

Is there anyone that knows what they're doing of how to fill out the form 8962 or should I talk to someone in customer support to help me step by step 

I have received a letter from the irs and have already paid and did my taxes through turb

@4133581340 wrote:

I have received a letter from the irs and have already paid and did my taxes through turb

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 8962 and Form 1095-A as requested by the IRS for tax year 2019 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409

Dlm2361
Returning Member

I need help on filling out my 2019 8962form I tryed in turbo but can't find how to do it they took my info on my 1095a form  how can someone help me thank you

Once you enter the 1095-A the 8962 will be populated ... since you must now be using the downloaded program switch to the FORMS mode ... click on the form in the list ... use the print option in the window to print out just that form. 

Jj106

I filed my federal and SC state taxes for 2019 with TurboTax but at the time of filing them I didn’t filled out a 8962 form , Premium Tax Credit .I received a letter from the IRS asking for this form to be filled out and sent back. I also received a 1095-A statement from the marketplace but some of the information I needed to complete the form was not on my 2019 w-2 statement and I did not get a copy of the 1040 form from Turbo Tax. How do I get help with this missing information or help filling out 8962 form?

When the online program comes online later this week you will be able to use the Amendment program.   Ignore the ADD A STATE instructions and use the amendment option instead.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Form 8962 and Form 1095-A as requested by the IRS for tax year 2019 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/health-care/help/the-irs-is-requesting-form-8962/01/27409

wlogan
Returning Member

Hello I thought my taxes and I got a letter from the IRS and it’s asking for my 8962 and I just wanted to give a little information are used into it to do my taxes and we’re trying to fill these forms out do I put my wife’s name and Social Security number since she was the one that actually got the tax the insurance that the tax credit score

Fluffyz426
Returning Member

I have to fill a 8962

@Fluffyz426 wrote:

I have to fill a 8962

Assuming this IRS request is for tax year 2019 and they are requesting the Form 1095-A and Form 8962, you will have to amend the 2019 tax return that was filed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

The Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit will be created and populated by the TurboTax software after you have entered your Form 1095-A that you received for your health insurance through your state Marketplace.

To enter your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

Send the following to the IRS address or fax number given in your IRS letter:

1. Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit.
  2. Copy of your Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement.
  3. A copy of the IRS letter that you received.
  4. Only if the refund or owed amount has changed: also include page 2 of your 1040
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies