turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I forgot what my 5 digit pin was for last year. Is there a way to retrieve the 5 digit pin or submit the file without getting rejected?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

78 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I forgot what my 5 digit pin was for last year. Is there a way to retrieve the 5 digit pin or submit the file without getting rejected?

To Locate Your PIN number from 2017 please see TurboTax Critter#2 response below:

• The 5 digit self-selected efile Pin will be included in the Federal Information worksheet, shown on Page 4 of the worksheet.  The worksheet is included in the PDF of the 2017 tax return that you can download if you used the online editions.
  • To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

The 5 digit e-file PIN will also be included in the transfer of the 2017 tax data to the 2018 tax return.

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or last year’s adjusted gross income (AGI).

If instead you want to enter your 2017 AGI:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

How to get my AGI from 2017

@Samiah3015 wrote:

How to get my AGI from 2017

You need the 2018 AGI to e-file a 2019 tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/how-do-i-find-last-year-s-agi/01/25947

BarbaraW22
Expert Alumni

The IRS has discontinued the e-filing PIN option. To verify your identity for e-filing, you’ll need to use last year’s adjusted gross income (AGI).

You can find your 2018 Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) by:

• Looking at line 7 on page 2 of your 2018 Form 1040
  • Requesting a transcript of your 2018 tax return from the IRS. You can request your transcript online at the following link: Get Transcript 

If you did not file a tax return in 2018, enter zero for your AGI.

For more information please click on this TurboTax Article.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ccb042880

This is holding up my tax return(s) both state and federal.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

For identification purposes, you need to enter either last year’s Self-Select PIN or adjusted gross income (AGI). If you don't remember your pin, please see the TurboTax FAQ on how to get last year's AGI:

How do I find last year’s AGI?

In the CD Download version 2019, I still need to input both last year AGI and the PIN. Turbotax mentioned I could make up the PIN, so I put 12345. However the IRS rejected the efiling because the PIN was not the same from last year. I got the AGI, but seemed they still verified the PIN. Unfortunately I forgot the PIN from last year. 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The IRS uses the 5-digit Self-Select PIN as a security measure to identify the taxpayer.

You may also use the previous year’s AGI (adjusted gross income) if you do not have you 5-digit PIN.

See also this TurboTax Help.

Tried using last year's AGI, but still got rejected.

Will send by mail instead.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The IRS has eliminated the use of a PIN to e-file your 2019 tax return.  To verify your identity for e-filing will use last year's adjusted gross income (AGI) as your PIN. 

You can get a copy of your 2018 tax return, from TurboTax if you need your AGI.  Follow these steps to get a copy of your prior-year tax return. 

Sign in to TurboTax making sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as in prior years.  

1. Select Documents from the navigation when it appears.  

2. Use the drop-down menu at the top of the screen to choose the tax year you want and then select Download PDF.    

This link  How do I access a prior year return? has additional information that you may find useful.    

Mendota68

I'm trying to find 2018 AGI Drumline seven or pin did not save it fortunately

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

The IRS has eliminated the use of a PIN to e-file your 2019 tax return.  To verify your identity for e-filing will use last year's adjusted gross income (AGI) as your PIN. 

You can get a copy of your 2018 tax return, from TurboTax it will have your AGI.  Follow these steps to get a copy of your prior-year tax return.

Sign in to TurboTax making sure you're using the same TurboTax account (with the same username) as in prior years.

1. Select Documents from the navigation when it appears.
  2. Use the drop-down menu at the top of the screen to choose the tax year you want and then select Download PDF

This link  How do I access a prior year return? has additional information that you may find useful.

Evander92

Need help

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

I am attaching a thread for your reference.  Click here: Pin  It might be easier to obtain your 2018 AGI instead.

To see your Adjusted Gross Income AGI from last year, please follow these instructions:

If you have filed your last year 2018 tax return and have a copy of the tax forms, you may locate the amounts on line 7 on your 2018 Form 1040 or line 35 on 2018 Form 1040-NR if applies to you.

If you used TurboTax online to file, you can access your account here Login and download a copy of your prior year’s 1040 tax return to find your AGI.  Click here for instructions: Prior year's return

If you do not have a copy of the tax forms, you may order a transcript from the IRS.  Click here Get  Transcript and select  "Get Transcript Online "  On the transcript, look under section "Adjustment to Income" and find the amount for Adjusted Gross Income.

@Evander92

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies