Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I forgot what my 5 digit pin was for last year. Is there a way to retrieve the 5 digit pin or submit the file without getting rejected?

To original poster:

if you selected a five digit PIN last year using TurboTax and imported that tax return, TurboTax is holding your PIN for you.

It seems they don't want you to know that.

Bbvols

I forgot what my 5 digit pin was for last year. Is there a way to retrieve the 5 digit pin or submit the file without getting rejected?

You need my 5 digit code to finish my taxes that I don't have ...you have done my taxes for 2 yrs 

Jknell41

hi

Need pin#

what’s my 5 digit code?

How do I get my 5 digit pin , when I didi not fiel in 2018

@fieldsclara777 wrote:

How do I get my 5 digit pin , when I didi not fiel in 2018

You do not use a 5 digit PIN.  You enter your 2018 AGI.  If you did not file a 2018 tax return then enter a 0 (zero) for the 2018 AGI.

If this is rejected then you will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

I need Mii piin number bad to fiile these taxes helllpp

I forgot my 5 digit pin from last year.  I processed my taxes with turbo tax last year.  Is there any way I can obtain it from turbo tax?  Debbie Belknap

akoroma

IRS rejected my tax because of incorrect PIN #, Turbo Tax instructed me to keyed ANY 5 digits number. Now I can;t remember my last year 5 digits PIN #. Can you help so that I can e-file my tax correctly?

akoroma

Can I use 2018 AGI for both me and my spouse as our PIN number?

I've been using TurboTax online for something like 12 years (since it first came out online) and for the first time, this year, I bought the CD to basically "lock in the price" because the online version won't let me lock in the price until I complete my returns. I don't actually receive all my info to start my returns (let alone finish them) until April 10-15 or later (April 21 this year) so I was essentially starting from scratch. It sucked BIG time since I have had a 12-year history to work off online and now it thought I was using TT for the first time ever. 

As you can guess, when it came time to sign the returns, it did NOT recognize the 5-digit PIN I used last year and did not tell me about this "AGI instead of PIN" trick because I bought the CD in January--before the whole COVID-19 crisis changed how everyone is doing everything. I really wish the update that I had the CD do before I started had included this substitution information. The LACK of it caused my return to be rejected twice and it was only by sheer luck that I noticed someone said some "Critter #2" had solved the problem. You might want to post this info in a more "findable" manner for future users. It's only April after all and people have until July to file returns. You can bet plenty will start return prep July 1st or thereabouts.

Just a suggestion from a seasoned user who got stumped by stupid stupid failures of the software to clearly communicate.

@sarahryoffa Sure wish you would have contacted this forum back when you were using the Online editions as we could have showed you how to lock in the price before filing the tax return.

And for using the 2019 desktop CD/Download edition, we could have also showed you how to download the tax data file from the 2018 online edition you used.

@DoninGA  Thanks so much (with the same level of sarcasm as you had) for telling me what you COULD have done but not showing me or anyone else how to do EITHER of those things!  I'm sure as sugar not the only person having this issue given the looooong and multiple threads on this subject in the forums!!

Funny, I was thinking I would just trash the CD and go back to the online version. Maybe TurboTax has outlived its customer-centeredness and I should look into H&R Block or some other tax product. Certainly no shortage of companies wanting my business and letting me know it by providing EXCELLENT customer service instead of SARCASTIC replies. Geez.

@sarahryoffa I apologize since it was not meant in any way to be sarcastic.

To pay the TurboTax account fees before filing a tax return using the online editions -

To pay the TurboTax online account fees by credit card, without completing the 2019 return at this time, click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen. Then click on Print Center. Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return. On the next page, to pay by credit card, click Pay Now. The next screen will show a review of your Fees, click on Continue. Complete the next screen to pay by credit card and click Continue.

To download a prior tax year tax data file from the online editions -

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download .tax file

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies