Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This program is running extremely slow. Whats up with this? I have uninstalled and reinstalled How do I speed the operation of this program up to a usable level?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

This program is running extremely slow. Whats up with this? I have uninstalled and reinstalled How do I speed the operation of this program up to a usable level?

Just guessing.
1) a huge windows update is downloading a slowing things down...check your windows updates.
2) reboot...then when you restart everything...only start up the TTX software  (startup screen is slow anyhow) then see how that works.
3) any particular section? look for a consistent area where it creeps.  I noted that an area or two that have unreleased final tax forms seem slower than usual...maybe the software is always going out and seeing if a final form is waiting for an update in a section without a Final form ready.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

There is something very wrong. I created a new tax return and it ran at a normal brisk speed. However, as I add more information such as multiple bank interest amounts, the speed declines and it becomes unacceptably slow. It appears that Intuit has changed something and it's very wrong.  Can someone at Intuit please respond and let me know how I can enter new information without Turbotax crunching it continuously -- it's taking more than minute to enter each new piece of information. HELP!

I am having the exact same problem. Have been using Turbotax since 2001. I never experienced anything like this before. Excruciatingly slow entering per diems. Unacceptable.
gmg123

I share your opinions - tax year 2018 is running extremely slow, especially when it comes to opening a return.

You may have memory issues. Also clear cache.

I am having the same issue...and it’s not my machine...I am using an Ms Surface Pro 3 that has.m a TB SSD, 16 FB of ram, and i7 chips.  

It is literally going so slow that I accidentally move to far forward in screens by clicking on a button after the button fails to respond.

As far as where I am at in the app, I am on schedule C Assets...
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have updated windows 7.  it still seems that 2018 needs more time to open than 2017.  this doesn't surprise me since the new laws and forms complicated rather than simplified things

blah
Level 3

OMG, it is even 10 times worse this year... not only are they charging more to do my broker statements.   I click on the button to update and it sits there and spins for ten minutes, sometimes even asking if I am still here as I wait for their SLOW SLOW SLOW servers to response, it is ridiculous this year... I am gonna have to think about switching brands, because they are charging more and service is the worst I ever seen...

scottalf

Has anyone from the company ever gotten back to you?  I'm having the same issues and feel I'm going to have to give up on TurboTax.

jmslack

Has anyone ever received to these inquiries about the program running unacceptably slow.  I cannot enter stock sales at this rate,

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ's below for assistance with connection issues:

If you continue to have issues please see the link below to contact one of our TurboTax representatives:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@jmslack

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
blah
Level 3

After going round and round with support never getting an answers, here is the secret.  

DO NOT USE turbo tax 1099-B import feature..  it is fine if you only have a few trades, but if you many trades it will choke up turbo tax making it unusable.

you don’t have to add every single trade, you only need to manually enter the totals for each category, long term basis reported, short term reported, long term not reported, short term not reported, then manually do the 1099-DIV and INT and then turbo tax will not choke out.

If you already imported, just go to the delete form section under tools and delete the forms that the 1099-B import created.   

hopefully this helps you, it works so much better for me now and my tax forms are way smaller, IRS does not require you to enter every single trade, just the sums..

let me know if that helps you?

OMG! What's going on with TurboTax this year? We ought the 2020 tax software from Costco and then upgraded it to home and biz after installing it. After entering a few lines, the software starts acting up- NOT RESPONDNG. We waited for 3 to 5 minutes with each "continue" button clicked. We talked to the support but no help. The support said it's Wi-Fi issue! No, of course not. We subscribe to the 2nd highest internet package on X***ity and can use all other software/ browsers with no problem, except TurboTax. 

In addition, my husband works in Wi-Fi industry and he knows the best.

We called the support the 2nd time and was given a new download link with a new license code. I then installed it on a 2nd laptop, and guess what? It's still NOT RESPONDING. Just to make thing clear, the 1st installation was on a brand new laptop with everything updated and TurboTax shows NOT RESPONDING. 

The product needs to be debugged immediately. This is hurting the business and if the problem is still there after 48 hours, we might need to say goodbye to TurboTax after 20+ years. 😓

Are you using Windows or Mac?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies