turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The US Govt interest field on form 1099-DIV is not calculating when entered. It still shows the field blank after re-entering in review. Can you fix the software please?

I have auto-loaded and manually entered this form, but it will not accept an entry in the US Govt Interest $ field.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

The US Govt interest field on form 1099-DIV is not calculating when entered. It still shows the field blank after re-entering in review. Can you fix the software please?

On the 1099-DIV, what boxes have entries? Were you required to click My form has info in other boxes? and make entries?

What state tax returns are you completing?

The Federal government taxes income you receive from its own bonds and your state may not.

What about dividends from U.S. government bonds?

The federal government taxes income you receive from its own bonds. Although your state doesn't tax income generated by U.S. government bonds, each state defines government bonds differently.

To find out if these dividends are taxable in your state, review your 1099-B along with the supplemental pages from your consolidated tax statement. If you can’t find the info, you might be able to get it from your brokerage or mutual fund company website.  See this example.

Once you have found the info in your documents, just follow the screens here and we’ll help you enter an adjustment for the nontaxable amount in your state. When you get to your state taxes, we'll subtract the adjustment from the income reported to your state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am filing in Missouri, which does not tax earnings on direct US obligations, which is calculated off-line and manually entered in Turbo  Tax.  The problem is that the software is failing to accept an entry for the value of these federal earnings.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The information worksheet and many forms are still marked as unsupported. As the state updates forms, they are incorporated into the system. Please check Forms Availability for your method of tax preparation. The IRS does not open until February 12. Many forms will still not be ready when they open. The states move at their pace.

MO has a long list of Exempt United States Government Obligations - Missouri ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@iffycreek1   @AmyC   @JamesG1 

...Yes, that is a software BUG in the  "Online" software   (not in the desktop software)....

I've reported it to a number of TTX folks...but have no idea if it's been passed up-the-line to the software developers for correction.

...iffy....you can check it for the software bug correction on Fridays for the next several weeks.  Software updates usually occur only on Wed or Thurs evenings, so checking earlier in the week is useless.

See also some test values used that confirmed the problem for 1099-DIV form entries:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-why-does-turbotax-page-not-accept-the-value-i-...

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

This is a very simple fix.  On the page where you are entering the 1099-DIV Box 1a, 1b, and 2a - simply click the "My form has info in other boxes" checkbox.  Click continue.  On the next screen click "A portion of these dividends is U.S. Government interest."  Click continue.  On the next screen enter the Government interest amount.  Simply checking the "My form has info in other boxes" the error will be resolved.

retiredEA1
Returning Member

None of these suggestions work for me. 

retiredEA1
Returning Member

None of these suggestions work for me. Being a retired EA, I obviously know what I am doing, and this has worked just fine in previous years, so there is definitely a software glitch. I'm using updated TurboTax Deluxe, Mac version, desktop version.

@retiredEA1 

This post is from a YEAR AGO

IF you think it's not working for whatever state you are dealing with, Call Customer Support and get it reported.  Discussions here generally do NOT get to the software people for a long time....if ever.

What is the TurboTax phone number? (intuit.com)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies