Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Turbo Tax Premier product says it includes 5 federal and 1 state tax filings? Does that mean I can file for up to 5 individuals living in the same state with it?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

The Turbo Tax Premier product says it includes 5 federal and 1 state tax filings? Does that mean I can file for up to 5 individuals living in the same state with it?

Yes, that is correct.

TurboTax CD/Download Personal Returns

Free federal e-file included — Free e-file of your federal tax return is included with your purchase of TurboTax CD/Download.

E-file multiple returns — Prepare and e-file up to five (5) federal tax returns at no additional cost. (This is the maximum returns limit set by the IRS.)

E-file state return(s) — Additional fees apply.** You may e-file up to three (3) state returns per federal tax return.

Or print and mail your return(s) — Print as many copies of your federal and state returns as you need for free when you purchase TurboTax CD/Download.

TurboTax CD/Download Business Returns

Free federal e-file included — Free e-file of your federal tax return is included with your purchase of TurboTax Business and Business State products (sold separately).

E-file multiple returns — Prepare and e-file up to five (5) federal tax returns at no additional cost. (This is the maximum returns limit set by the IRS.)

*Fastest refund with e-file and direct deposit; refund timeframes will vary. The IRS issues more than 9 out of 10 refunds in less than 21 days.

**Early e-filing fee $25$20 each. Anticipated fee increase expected in March 2021. Prices are subject to change without notice. E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BettyJCarson
Returning Member

I have 2020 Turbo Tax Business & Personal which is supposed to include 5 FREE federal tax e-filings.  I have not e-filed any yet, but last night when I tried to e-file a federal return it came up with $40 charges, etc.  Did this change in the latest upgrade?  Previously, it would let me e-file state returns but said tax client had to mail in printed form; since upgrade, wants to charge $25 to e-file!!  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@BettyJCarson The e-file charge for state has always been there. 

If you have any questions about the billing on your account, please click here to contact customer support. 

BettyJCarson
Returning Member

I know there is a charge to e-file state taxes so why did they let me e-file them for free and then say the returns has to be mailed??

I tried to e-file a federal return several times yesterday and each was rejected by IRS.  I entered the AGI from 2019 each time from last years return and it was still rejected.  I did not re-file and told client she would have to mail.  

Also, it entered $40+ service charges - 5 e-filings free with each copy of TurboTax (2020).  This is a problem in the software.  All of the above occurred after the TurboTax 2020 upgraded.  

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

We do not have access to any billing or account information here in this public forum. 

If you need assistance with billing or refund, please click here to contact customer support. 

dreese1940
Returning Member

I read that Turbo Tax will no longer support free e-filing except for simple returns.  Is this true?

Turbo Tax still has a Free Edition for very simple returns. But they are no longer participating in the IRS Free File website.

Start a Turbo Tax return here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online

Or find another free offer at IRS Free File
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

dreese1940
Returning Member

Free efile still applies to the other editions of turbo tax?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@dreese1940

There is a specific edition for Free e-Filing.  This was address by @VolvoGirl above, but this is for simple returns only.  Please see the details at the link here for further assistance.  

All Online versions include free efiling,   In Deluxe and higher the fees are to prepare the return whether you efile or print and mail.

In the Desktop CD/Download program you can efile 5 federal returns for free.   The rest you can print and mail.   There is a fee to efile each state return from the Desktop program.

cmvdragon
Returning Member

How can I e-file 5 different returns from 5 different people with only one intuit account? It will ask for my own AGI form prior year, not my daughter's AGI for example if she wants to efile...how does she efile with my CD?

You are confused.   You can use your CD/download to prepare and file up to five federal returns but each of those returns will be for different people who have different AGI's for 2022.  You do not use your own 2022 AGI to e-file their returns.  You use the AGI from each person's 2022 Form 1040---the amount is on line 11 of their 2022 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your return is not kept in the CD but in a separate data file.   The Desktop program can do unlimited returns and efile 5 federal for free.  The rest you can print and mail.  And it is $25 to efile each state return including the first one (except it is free in New York).

Did you get the CD installed and activated with the 16 digit License Code?  Don't accidentally get stuck  using the Online web version.  That's been happening to people.    The Desktop program has the menu items going across the top and the Online version is a black bar down the left side.  Even though you install the CD Desktop program and need to log into your online account the returns are not saved or stored in the online account but only on the computer they were done on.   So no one can see your return or info.   

Will she use your computer or install the CD on another computer?  

Turbo Tax saves the tax returns as 2023 Smith J Form 1040 Individual Tax Return.tax2023. So if you have two or more returns for people that have the same last name and first initial the second return will overwrite the first one. So you have to be sure to first save the returns with names completely different to keep them apart. Don't use the default name given by the program. You need to go to FILE - SAVE AS and give the return a unique name you can tell apart. At least add the full first name. You don't have to use or accept the name Turbo Tax gives it. I save all my returns with different names.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies