turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This return has been rejected by the IRS because there is a student listed on Form 8863, line 21 whose SSN has been listed on another Form 8863 for this tax year. Explain

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
da411

This return has been rejected by the IRS because there is a student listed on Form 8863, line 21 whose SSN has been listed on another Form 8863 for this tax year. Explain

What is the next step if your taxes has been rejected due to 8863 line 21. E-file

You posted to someone else's 6 month old thread, so your issue is unclear.  Are you the parent whose return is being rejected, or are you the student whose return is being rejected?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DeniseF1

The error message indicates the student has been claimed on another tax return for this tax year; therefore, you are not able to claim the student.  

I am the student

I have the same issue.  I am the student.  I have also printed out my return and there is only one 8863 form.  I'm stuck and not sure what to do.  The turbo tax agents were unable to help thus far.

@Nolank270 We cannot see your tax return or any of your information.   Are you being claimed as someone else's dependent?   If so, the person who claimed you as a dependent is the one who can use the education credit.   Did someone claim you and use the education credit on their tax return?   If you are a dependent you cannot use an education credit yourself.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies