Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LeeannH3

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

Does it count if im 20, lived out of the house for a year at the time its like 2 years now. Had a job got a w2 filed, got denied because mom filed me as a dependent even though i wasnt living with them. So i got no checks they got them, she purposely told me not to file because and i quote "I dont need to do adult things" even though ive been living in a camper on my own for a year. 

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

@LeeannH3 wrote:

What if you're 20 and been moved out and had a job, got a w2 and filed got denyed because mom purposely put me as a dependent. She purposely told me not to file my taxes cause and i quote "you dont need to do adult things" when Ive been living on my own in a camper for over a year at the time. Then she had the nerve to call me greedy. 

If you provide over one-half of your own support in 2020 and are age 19 or older then no one can claim you aa a dependent.

Go to this IRS website for calculating support - https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

File the 2020 tax return claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit on the Form 1040 Line 30 and do NOT indicate that you can be claimed as a dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 2020 tax return if another tax return was filed claiming you as a dependent.  If your tax return shows a tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

Within a year the IRS will send a letter to you and the other party to investigate this issue.  The loser of the investigation must pay back any federal tax refund plus will have to pay penalties and interest.

Your age at the end of 2020 is what matters--not how old you are now or what your living circumstances have been since 2020 ended.   Your 2020 return is only about the circumstances in 2020.   At the end of 2020 could you meet the criteria to be claimed as a dependent?    If you do NOT meet the criteria to be claimed as someone else's dependent for 2020 then you say on your own tax return that you cannot be claimed, you use the recovery rebate credit to get the stimulus money yourself, and you mail your tax return in.  The IRS will process it.   Then they will sort out whether your parents made a mistake by claiming you---they might have to pay back the stimulus money they received.

First---do you meet the criteria to be claimed?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
pmotieam

my parent claim me as a dependent in 2020 and collected the stimulus payment, but in 2021 I want to file my own tax return in 2021, how is the  stimulus credit work now in my tax

@pmotieam If you CANNOT be claimed as a dependent on your parents' 2021 tax return then you will be eligible to receive the 3rd EIP payment as the recovery rebate credit on your own 2021 return.   But be SURE you cannot be claimed and talk to your parents to make sure they are not claiming you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies