Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Jonah978

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

If my parents claimed me last year and this year I claim as independent would I still get the stimulus check?

LJVP
Level 2

Tax Year Prior to 2020: What if my parents claimed me as a dependent in 2019 but I no longer live with them in 2020 can I still claim the stimulus check?

Sorry but no. And you could ask your parents to refile a corrected 1040-X. Then you might get it. It is passable the IRS may flag both of you because you shouldn't file as independent if you can be claimed by someone. I advise you to talk with your parents.

I claimed my daughter this year on taxes. But I didn't receive the 500 dollar dependant on my stimulus because she turned 18 before it was released. Can she now apply for the stimulus?

Twocansam

I’m in a sticky situation as well. My father claimed me in 2018. I graduated in 2019 and now live on my own. My mother has not claimed me for 2019, and my father has not filed his taxes yet, but, he does not plan on claiming me for 2019. I accidentally filed myself as “can be claimed as a dependent” because using turbo tax you have to go change it in your personal info and if you don’t it will just use your info from what you claimed the previous year. Anyways, I have not received anything. I am certain that is due to the fact that my father has yet to file for 2019, and, since I can be claimed, the IRS is under the assumption I will be claimed for 2019. I filed an amended return as an independent. Guess we’ll see how long it takes to get my stim! 

LJVP
Level 2

I can confidently say that if your 2019 return is accepted then you should get a stimulus check but don't get to excited about it because I am just another tax payer. You can visit IRS.gov and see if your return is accepted then when it is, check to see your stimulus status is accepted. As long as your corrected tax filing is accepted you should be good

I was claimed in 2018 as a dependent. I am not a dependent in 2019, have filed my tax returns and received my refund the day the first checks were sent out (Wednesday)

The irs tool says “payment status not available” is this because it processed my 2019 tax return too late and looked at my 2018 return? Will it refresh and look at my 2019 return when I am not a dependent? This is the only reason I think it’s not giving me my money.. 

LJVP
Level 2

Yes you should, just keep being persistent each day you can access the IRS.gov website and be advised you must enter all the answers exactly as you filed. 1 time I miss the space in the address line and got that same response 

LJVP
Level 2

No and sorry for the late reply. She needs to file and you need to not claim her. And that may not be advisable because of how it effects your taxes.

She legally cannot claim me as a dependent, I am 24 and not a student. My friends who filed with me  (got their money before me though) and are in the exact same situation (their parents claimed them last year, but will not this year and have not filed their taxes yet) received their money. Very confused. 

LJVP
Level 2

If you filed last year and was claimed as a dependent, then filed this year with TurboTax then look closely at your 2019 return and see if your return is correct. It is possible that the box was filled in automatically that you can be claimed by someone 

I double checked, I am not claimed as a dependent on mine, so confused on what else could be going on...

LJVP
Level 2

Well once you're return is accepted and complete you should be getting the stimulus check. I recieved mine only after my 2019 taxes were complete. So good luck and each day you can visit IRS.gov and check on get my payment. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Go here for stimulus info:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So what if I put that my parents were able to claim me (they told me to) but when they tried to they got denied to claim me because I made too much for them to be able to, does that mean I’m still eligible for the stimulus check or no?? They claimed me 2018 but got denied 2019.

LJVP
Level 2

The answer is yes if you file taxes in 2019 and cannot be claimed by someone.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies