Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smadrid97

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don’t have a 1095-A form why does it keep asking me about that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

68 Replies
fs7

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don’t have a 1095-A form why does it keep asking me about that?

the 1095-A is proof that you bought insurance on an exchange.  There is no penalty this year for not having insurance.  Just tell the program you did not buy insurance on an exchange when it asks.

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

You don't need to worry if you don't have one. There is no longer any penalty for not carrying insurance in 2019. However, If you did receive a 1095-A, you will use it to fill out form 8652 to file for the advanced premium tax credit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Molly 1
Returning Member

I don’t have 1095-A or my husband there way still file my taxes

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I would like you to check what you have posted.

1. Start with Federal
  2. Choose Deductions and credits
  3. Scroll down to Medical (List additional Tax Deductions if not seen).
  4. Select the Affordable Care Act from the drop-down
  5. Select NO for the next two questions.

This should resolve the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It still is asking for a 1095-A form , I have clicked no for those two questions in the Medical and then when I go to file for taxes , I get rejected saying it needs 1095-A form. 

But I don’t have health insurance. Do I still get the 1095-A form? And if not then why is turbo tax keeps asking for it 

If you had a 1095-A on the 2020 return and you transferred in the prior year info there could be a blank shell form in the system ... next time thru that section  say  YES instead of no  and then you can delete the unneeded form. 

Molly 1
Returning Member

When do I click that at 

1. Start with Federal
  2. Choose Deductions and credits
  3. Scroll down to Medical (List additional Tax Deductions if not seen).
  4. Select the Affordable Care Act from the drop-down

Did you mean form 8962?

If you didn't have marketplace healthcare and you didn't get a 1095-A, then you don't need the 8962 form.  You can go to tools and 'delete' a form.  Delete the form.  Go back to medical and answer all the questions starting from the top, including "no" I didn't get a 1095-A.  Then you should be able to file without this issue.  

Sorry if I am coming into this a little late, I saw it was mentioned to deleted form 8962 and to go to the medical section and to just answer from the beginning and to say not to having form 1095-A. What if when I go to delete form 8962 I don’t see it? Also when going into the medical section and selecting NO on having the 1095-A, it always reverts back to yes when I review it.

If you did not enter a 1095-A there will be no form 8962 to delete ... but what probably happened is the 1095-A shell form was probably transferred from last year ... so return to the 1095-A input section and this time answer YES so you get to the next screen where you can delete the unneeded form ... then continue forward and say NO.  

Now if you did have ACA insurance last year and did NOT get the form in the mail yet then wait for it  OR  go online to download it now.   If you file without the form and you needed to enter the form the IRS will reject your return in a heartbeat.    www.healthcare.gov 

Nslewis79

I'm getting the same thing, have you been able to resolve? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies