Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I still file a w2 from a previous year if yes what's the longest you can wait?

I forgot a W-2 on my 2018 tax return. Now, get this... I only earned from this employer $600 total and paid $0 in federal taxes. The IRS charged me $2,700 because I accidentally forgot about a W2. And now, they took that from this year's return. $2,700 because I forgot a W2 that I only made $600 on.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I still file a w2 from a previous year if yes what's the longest you can wait?

When I simulated my taxes, I have determined that adding this one W2 would have decreased my taxes only by $70. So, I was overpaid $70, which means, the IRS charged me over $2,600 in late fees and penalties. That's highway robbery.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

The total you paid was not penalty and interest-when someone forgets to add any tax form with taxable income, the entire return is recalculated which can change your tax rate or the amount of credits or deductions.  

@donaldf1982

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Okay I had two w-2s last year I only filed one.I didn't have a W-2 this year to file so I used the other one from last year that I didn't file. Is there going to be an issue? 

Even if you're only going to file the W-2 from the prior-year.? I had two last year from two separate companies and I only used one of them. so this year I filed normal and only used the w2 I didn't use last year.? Is that fine or is it going to be an issue and I'm going to have to fix it!

@jdsmith93  Yes that's a big problem.  You have to file each year separately.  You needed to report all your income last year on the same return.  You now need to amend your 2018 return to add the other W2.  And if your 2019 return was accepted with last year's W2 on it you need to amend 2019 to take if off.

Was it for 2018?  How to amend 2018

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2018-turbotax-online-return/00/9... 

To Amend 2019

You cannot change or add anything on the return that you e-filed.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox

Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and add or change it and resend it.

If the IRS accepts your return, then you have to wait until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or paid the tax due. THEN you can prepare an amended tax return 1040X and mail it in. You cannot e-file an amended return.  Meanwhile, DO NOT change anything on your return until you start the amended return. If you did change or add the missing info then take it out and put your return back to the way it was when you first filed it.

You can check your efiling status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

How to amend an Online return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

So if I've got a w-2 for this year,is it too late because I already made the mistake of filing 2018's  w2 for this year?what should I do? just wait until it's done.because it was accepted and it's saying being processed at irs.gov?

The w2 I filed this year was for 2018.? I didn't file it then but what should I do. But I didn't file anything else. But the w2 I didn't file last year. It was accepted and when I go on irs.gov to check it it says being processed.

You need to amend 2019 to take off the 2018 W2s and to add the 2019 W2s.  I would wait for the IRS to finish processing the wrong one and see if they send you the refund from it.

Ok say they send me the refund. What should I do? Will it give me problems next year when I file? And is it likely for them to send me the refund. It was accepted February 18th how long does it usually take

You need to AMEND both your 2018 and 2019 returns.  Each year is completely separate.  This should not affect next year's 2020 return.

Okay do you think they will send me my refund? And how long does it usually take mine was accepted February 18th. What are your thoughts?

So do you have any thoughts on that. Do you think they will send me my refund? How long does it usually take? Sorry for so many questions please answer this will be my last one.

If I have my taxes amended will I owe the IRS? cuz I amended it it said I owe them 903 which my return was only 928. But I canceled it. like I said I made the mistake in the first place. 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

If when amending your return you find that you owe the IRS and/or your state taxes, you need to remember that when you filed your original return it did not have all the information on it. So if you got a refund from the original return of $928 and then amended the return and owe $903 had the original return had all the information on it the first time, your refund would really have only been $25.00. 

You should file the amended return and mail in a payment as soon as you can to the IRS. If you are not able to pay the amount owed, you can apply for an installment agreement by clicking here: https://www.irs.gov/payments/payment-plans-installment-agreements

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies