Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I get a phone # to contact a representative from the irs

Unfortunately once your return has been accepted by the IRS TurboTax is not able to see where your returns are in the process. The best thing you i can do is to keep contacting the IRS till you can get some clarification and answers on what is going on, and if they need anything else from you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I get a phone # to contact a representative from the irs

Thank you, I'll keep trying.  

Thanx... That helped. I got in touch!

I just went through all the steps in the information given and got a message stating "due to extreme volume of calls you cannot be connected.  Try again later or next business day."   

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, you may actually need to wait. If they weren't able to connect you there is not a way around it because of the sheer volume of calls they are receiving right now. When you call 1-800-829-1040 please see this website article from the IRS on contact hours and information you will need to have ready when calling them: https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance.

Here are some tips when contacting the IRS:

• First choose your language. 
  • Then do not choose the first choice regarding REFUND, or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for personal income tax questions.
  • Then press 1 for form, tax history, or payment.  
  • Then press 3 for all other questions.
  • Then press 2 for all other questions to be transferred to an agent

I have tried everything and cannot get through to speak to someone live at IRS. I have contacted the post office there is nothing much they can do.

@anitracllns  you can't bc live assistance isn't available right now due to this coronavirus situation. 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The IRS has temporarily suspended phone services until further notice. This suspension doesn’t affect online services, refunds, or stimulus payments. 

The IRS.gov website is fully operational.

I filed with turbo n got a letter saying i need to verify my identity to irs which makes no sense cause they made me do the exact same thing last year and all my info is still the same. Including address and so im trying to verify my identity again on the IRS website but that states my info in incorrect so i call them to make a appointment or verify over the phone and cant reach anyone at all. So how in the heck am i supposed to recieve my refund???

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You can try the main number   800-829-1040

But I recommend your local office.

To find a Local Office:     Local IRS Offices

irs is not taken any phone calls at this time do you know the number to check with the state taxes that haven't received either

Illanim

It’s been 21 days since my taxes have been “accepted”. I’ve already received my state return and am currently awaiting my federal. I cannot get in touch with a live person (I’ve tried the little trick I found and didn’t work since the menu options have changed due to covid-19). I’ve been over and over my paperwork and everything is correct and complete. About a week ago I got a letter from IRS and had to verify identity yada yada anyways, I cannot get in touch with anyone LIVE to see what the heck the hold up is. What am I supposed to do? Single mom over here, haven’t received my stimulus either and I’ve got bills and mouths to feed also. Any advice? TIA

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

As you have learned, live assistance from the IRS is currently not available, so you will not be able to reach them.  

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is still operating, but they are also unable to reach the IRS departments that are closed so the service they can offer is limited and is a bit slower than usual. 

However, they may still be able to help. You can find the one that serves your area here: Taxpayer Advocate Service

mkelly2
Returning Member

Thank you for the detailed answer.  I will call tomorrow and, hopefully, have success.  Either way, thanks for taking the time to try and help.

Thank you! It works ***only thing though*** once you get to the end of your script after hitting option 2 it gives you like 5 additional options when you click other it rings 2x but then states "Due to a high volume of calls for the option you chose it is too busy call back later". I am going to try all 5 options see if I can get someone. Hope my tip helps you all also after hitting option 2 the last step in this script it does not automatically transfer you to a representative there are still additional options after that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies