turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TTDean

How to I report bugs

Hello. There are a number of bugs in the current version of Home and Business 2018 that make it almost unusable for me (crashes randomly, won't save my file, etc.) I don't see a way to report these bugs to you so you can fix them. How do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

41 Replies

How to I report bugs

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

TTDean

How to I report bugs

Thanks! So there's no way to email in bug reports? I don't want to call them every time I find something; given the current state of the 2018 product as I'm finding it, I'd be on the phone way too much time.

By the way, does this venue (here) get answers from Intuit, or from users of the product?

How to I report bugs

Support does not have a direct email address.  The support website is the best way to contact them.
The 2018 software still is not fully operational for completing a 2018 tax return so there will be several updates between now and the end of January.
Any operational type bugs you can report either directly to TT support or here.  Any problems noted on this user community forum can be forwarded to the TurboTax Moderators of the forum by any user with SuperUser status.
Most answers provided on this forum before the start of tax season is almost 100% from other users.  TT Moderators or other TT employees will from time-to-time answer questions here.
After tax season starts there will be a dedicated group of TT employees answering questions on this forum along with other users.

How to I report bugs

Windows not saving files has been reported.  I'll add you to the list.  But it's still early so be patient for the program updates.  
TTDean

How to I report bugs

Thanks again Don...appreciate the thorough reply! Sorry, I thought the "contact" website you provided just provided their phone number, not a way to report bugs on that site.

Fyi, 3 issues I've encountered in the past 2 days (other than the depreciation parts not being ready yet, which I understand is due to IRS delays):
1) TT2018 would not pull in my 2017 return after installing then updating TT2018 with the latest updates. And it wouldn't let me run TT2018 without doing the updates because the program part of the updates were marked as "critical", so it doesn't give you an option to run it without updating. After 1.5 hours on the phone with support, we found a way to only have TT2018 do the "program" updates, but not the "forms" updates, and then it was able to read the 2017 file. I could then do the forms updates, and it would still work (well...sort of except for #2 and #3).
2) At least half of the time after I've entered some stuff, it won't save the tax file, and gives an error code that translates to "the folder has been moved", or "the file is corrupt", neither of which are true (well...I can't tell if it's corrupted the file). The "solution" after spending time on the phone with support was to delete data I had entered, re-enter the exact same data, and try again. It turned out it was 1 piece of data in a Sched. E that I had to delete and re-enter. But if I work entering data for 10 minutes, there's a 50/50 chance it won't save my work; I now try to do a save after entering every 2-3 pieces of data, and it may or may not work, but at least I only loose 2-3 pieces of data. Obviously, this is not a workable solution.
3) In forms view, if I try to preview a form in prep. for printing it, it fails at least 75% of the time. Sometimes it gives an error code saying it can't generate the PDF, and suggests I try to save the PDF instead; that won't work either. Other times, TT just crashes and restarts itself, or course loosing whatever I've entered since the last save.

I know it's early in the "season", but hopefully these bugs can get addressed; I'm trying to do some 2018 tax planning before it's too late to act on it (12/31), and I'm literally spending more time restarting and reentering than making progress. (While I'm certainly not a TT expert, this is my 19th year using it, and I've never seen it this unstable...then again, I usually wait to about Feb. to start doing anything.)

How to I report bugs

Since you have provided such a detailed list of issues, I have forwarded this post to the TurboTax Moderators.  Some of these may have already been reported either through TT support or other means.  Thank you for the information.
TTDean

How to I report bugs

Thanks!

How to I report bugs

@TTDean

One thing you might try... is to try the Manual Update. (if you haven't already..1.5 hrs on the phone...you likely tried that)

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901192-manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-deluxe...>

Worth a try if you haven't attempted that yet.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
TTDean

How to I report bugs

Thanks! It would update just fine via the in-program check for updates option, but the problem is it couldn't read my 2017 tax return file into 2018 after it had successfully updated, and there was no way to run the not-updated CD or downloaded version of TT2018 because it insisted on updating before it would run (no option to skip updates since they were deemed "critical", and apparently TT forces the update when the updates are critical). Mostly by accident, customer service and I found out that it updates the program itself first, then something else (forgetting what), then the forms. If I hit "Cancel Update" at just the right time, I could catch it after it updated the program itself, but before it updated the forms. That state where the program was updated but not the forms would allow it to read my 2017 tax return file, and save it as a 2018 tax return. After doing that, I was able to do the update again, so that it now updated the forms that didn't get updated during the 1st update, and all was good.
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to I report bugs

Thank you for the feedback @TTDean. When you call in to our support line the agents are able to submit bugs to our defects team directly. I double checked to make sure your feedback had been submitted and it was!

Again, thank you for the feedback and detailed bug reports.
TTDean

How to I report bugs

Thanks!
Sam
Returning Member

How to I report bugs

I found a serious bug where the 2018 TurboTax updater won't work through a proxy.  It seems the only way to report it is to post it on the forums (which I've done).  It's insane that there's no other method.

How to I report bugs

The answer to the original post gave instructions on how to contact TurboTax support
Sam
Returning Member

How to I report bugs

Unfortunately, those links basically say to post the bug on the forums.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies