Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

FEDERAL TAX RETURN SUMMARY + 1040 ES

1. How do I access the FEDERAL TAX RETURN SUMMARY, as it was not included with my 23 page summary?

The instructions given in your older post in 2019 no longer apply as the areas mentioned, no longer appear on my page. 

2. Up until last year, there was also an option to print all the detailed returns which was 86 pages, where can I find this?   

3. HOW DO I STOP GENERATING 1040 ESTHERE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A PROMPT FOR THIS, BEFORE  E FILING MY RETURNS. The instructions in the link below do not work.

Thank You.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

When you print a copy of your return, we include everything that was sent to the government, plus extra documentation and calculation worksheets.

However, the printout won't include copies of the entry forms you got in the mail, such as W-2s or 1099s. If you need copies of those, contact whoever issued them originally.

Steps to Print Return and All Worksheets

For online users, we'll automatically include four quarterly 1040-ES vouchers with your printout if you didn't withhold or pay enough tax this year. We do this to head off a possible underpayment penalty on next year's taxes.

The instructions in the link you provided is not for TurboTax online users.  Desktop users can click on Forms on the top right. Scroll down and click on “Est Tax Options” near the bottom of the list of forms on the left. Scroll down on the right to find the heading “Prepare Estimated Tax Payment Vouchers” in the middle of the form. Check the option “No, do not prepare estimated tax payment vouchers.”

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your reply does not resolve my issues.

1. The  FEDERAL TAX RETURN SUMMARY is NOT included in my 23 printed pages, as it was in my  previous 11 years.

2.  For 1040 ES, FORMS is not on my page, so this don't work.

3.  Are 1040 ES SENT TO IRS or is this optional as this is the first time in all my years filing that I'm being subjected to 1040 ES, due to interest and dividends.

Thank You.

The 1040ES quarterly estimated tax payments DO NOT get sent to the IRS or state with your return. So they won't be expecting them.  They are optional to pay. Turbo Tax is very conservative and doesn't want you to owe too much next year. They might have printed out if you got a one time large income this year. Like if you took a IRA or 401K distribution. You can ignore them. You might want to adjust your withholding at work so you won't owe too much next year.

Thank You for the information.   I'm already in the process of adjusting my withholding.

There are still TWO unresolved issues, as follows:

1. The  FEDERAL TAX RETURN SUMMARY is NOT included in my 23 printed pages, as it was in my  previous     11 years, so where can I find it and print it?

2.  For 1040 ES, "FORMS" is not on the top right or anywhere on my page, so this don't work.

The following selections are on the top right of my page.  So why isn't "FORMS" there?

Notifications

Search
Help
Invite Friends
GET $25

#2....You are in the Online web  version.   The Forms button is only in the Desktop CD/Download program.  The only  way to see the forms in Online  is to print out the whole ret urn.

#1  Try downloading the whole pdf file with all the worksheets

How to print your return before filing
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/can-i-print-a-copy-of-my-turbotax-online-return-befo...

How to get or print a copy after filing
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

Thank You.  I have only one option to print my efiled return and the Federal Tax Summary is not included.  In previous years there were two options to print both the short version or the larger file with the Federal Tax Summary which shows the percentage of taxes paid.

So my two issues are still unresolved.

What changes has Turbo Tax made this year that makes this process so difficult?

The  FEDERAL TAX RETURN SUMMARY is NOT included in my 23 printed pages, as it was in my  previous 11 years.

2.  For 1040 ES, FORMS is not on my page, so this don't work.

My two issues are still unresolved after many responses.   Please see my recent post and provide a resolution.

Thank You.

@ js1237  wrote:  "I have only one option to print my efiled return and the Federal Tax Summary is not included."

For Federal Tax Return Summary page:

There is another place in Online TurboTax where you should actually have a choice of PDFs of various lengths.

If you are using Online TurboTax and have already filed, you have to open the return interview back up and go to the Print Center, where you can select from 3 PDF's of various lengths.  Here's how to get to the Print Center and make that choice:

NOTE:  When you open your return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.  If you later have to amend the return, it has to start off exactly as it was when it was originally filed.

• Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer some options for 3 PDFs:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  •  The latter has the most pages.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

Sorry, but I can't comment on your Form 1040-ES.

Thank You for your detailed instructions. 

In reference to your instructions below, my next screen is " Next, what type of state-issued ID do you have?" and not 3 PDF's.  Please clarify.

The next screen should offer some options for 3 PDFs:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"  The latter has the most pages.

@js1237 wrote:

Thank You for your detailed instructions. 

In reference to your instructions below, my next screen is "Next, what type of state-issued ID do you have?" and not 3 PDF's.  Please clarify.

The next screen should offer some options for 3 PDFs:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"  The latter has the most pages.

I'm sorry.  That's puzzling.   I've never heard of it asking for any kind of ID when getting a PDF from the Print Center.   I can't be sure what you are seeing, but if you followed my instructions exactly and are in the Print Center, I've not seen it ask that before.   I don't know why it would do that.   Maybe there's an extra step this year, but I don't have any way to simulate it and walk through that section to look at the screens.   I'll try to see if one of the long-time forum helpers has ever seen that.  They won't be around until later this morning, however.  So check back later.

@DoninGA   or @VolvoGirl   In Online TurboTax, after filing, and when trying to get a large PDF with all worksheets by opening the return and going to the Print Center, and after choosing "print/save/view this year's return", this user says a screen asks for a state-issued ID as the next screen before they can continue to go to the screen to choose which type of PDF to get.  Do you know what's going on with that?  Is that something new?   Thanks!

@mesquitebean No.  I have never been asked for an ID when downloading anything from Print Center. 

Plus I have downloaded several 2023 online tax returns that include all worksheets this year and have not been asked for any type of ID.

A screenshot would certainty help to validate this problem that the OP is stating they are experiencing.

@mesquitebean Unless they are referring to being asked for a state ID when in the File section and are completing the state section before e-filing.  That is the only section of the program, both online and desktop, that askes for that type of ID.

@js1237   

As you can see above, I checked with Champ @DoninGA  (thanks, Don!) who likewise has not seen this happen before if the instructions were followed exactly.   We think you may be in the wrong section, and I don't know how you ended up there if you followed the detailed instructions I outlined above.   Did you follow each step of the bulleted list of instructions exactly as I provided in my previous post to get to the Print Center, etc.?  If so, this is very bizarre.

If you wish, you can speak to TurboTax Support by phone in realtime and ask an agent to follow along as you follow the instructions to open up your already-filed return, proceed to Tax Tools, then Print Center and walk through the remainder of the process to get to the PDF choices.   The agent may be able to figure out what you are experiencing.

TurboTax Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies