Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

What can I do

Suger44
Returning Member

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

Hi I’m melissa Hawkins before I got married my last name was Peterson about 10 years ago my try to file me on his Taxes and someone was file me there taxes I did tell someone to do so I don’t no who doing I just don’t want it to stop me from getting stimulus check 

@Suger44 Your post is pretty confusing.  It sounds like you are saying someone tried to claim you ten years ago, and you are afraid it will interfere with your 2020 stimulus check.  The IRS is looking at 2018 or 2019 tax returns--not returns from years ago.  

Have you filed a tax return for 2018 or 2019?  

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions#payment

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Someone. claimed me on there taxes I lived in one state they lived in other state. I need what can I do about  this so I can get my 1200 stimulus payment

How do I do this I don't.  file taxes I am on ssi and social security  

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Go here:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Suger44
Returning Member

I don’t know if someone claiming me right now without my permission I get Social Security disability so I don’t file taxes I just wanna know if my if someone claiming me and At the stop me from getting the 1200 check 

@Suger44 No one else can check to see if you have been claimed as a dependent.  File your application for the stimulus and see what the site says.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Someone filled me as a dependent and I don’t know what to do because I didn’t give anybody permission to do that 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Permission isn't needed to claim a dependent, but certain qualifications must be met for someone to be listed as a dependent on another person's tax return.   

There are two types of dependents, generally.  Qualifying children and qualifying relatives.  Relative is a fairly loosely defined term.  

Generally, to be a dependent of another person you must receive more than half of your support from this person, live with this person (or meet certain exceptions), and be related to the person.  

You can learn more about who does (and doesn't) qualify as a dependent here: Rules for claiming a dependent on a tax return.

If you are not a dependent of another person, then you should prepare your tax return indicating this, and file it by mail (you will not be able to file electronically if your name and social security number have already been listed on another tax return that was filed electronically this tax year, there is no remedy for this.) 

After the IRS process your paper tax return, they will send a request to you and any taxpayer(s) who listed you on the tax return requesting documentation of your dependent status and will make a determination of which return is the correct return.   

The return that is determined to be incorrect will be adjusted.  The adjustment may include an assessment of additional tax, interest, and penalties.  If certain credits were claimed to which the taxpayer was not entitled, the taxpayer may also be barred from claiming those credits in the future for up to ten years.  

@Chrism1212

Suger44
Returning Member

She don’t live with me I don’t no her name she not family  the person that was claiming me

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Do you have a specific question?

If so please comment.

It sounds like you were claimed as a dependent by someone you do not know.

You can still file your return but you will need to print the return and mail it in.  The IRS may delay any refund while it attempts to verify whether you should have been listed as a dependent on the other taxpayer's return.

In the meantime, you can also contact the IRS to report the suspected tax fraud.  See the following link on instructions on how to report the questionable activity. 

Reporting Tax fraud to the IRS 

Hi my name is Charlene Terpstra. I filed information to IRS to get stimulus check. I was rejected and received the code that someone as filed me as a dependent on their tax return

I have been divorced for 7 years and receive social security disability. No one should be using me as a dependent.

Truck12345
Returning Member

What can I do to change this

Me and my wife been separated since 2012 and I think she got my portion of the stem every time I file I get that code saying someone filed already

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies