turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

senlin

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

I'm 18 years old I did not work this year. But my other partner did. They are over the age of 23. I wanted my other partner to claim me as a dependent but my mom decided to use my name and info without asking me. I asked her to take me off she said a lot of stuff that I have no clue what it means but she does not want to take me off. How do I get off her taxes and put on my other partners?

Carl
Level 15

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

I'm 18 years old I did not work this year

The bottom line is this. Because you were under the age of 19 on Dec 31 of the tax year and do not have more than $4,200 of earned income, your parents have every legal right to claim you as their dependent, and they don't need your permission to do so.

Jrhybon

I have reason to believe someone has possibly claimed me. They hold no requirements to be able to claim me period. Im wondering is there a form i can file on myself where the IRS can pick up on it and investigate. Someone might have recieved more benefits for adding me.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

First, please go ahead and do your return (not as a dependent) and mail it in. You will have to mail it to get around the e-file reject on your Social Security number.

Later, the IRS will realize that two tax returns have inconsistent information in that someone reported you as a dependent and you did not. They will write letters to both parties, and you will be able to explain the situation then.

If you think that this was possibly Identity Theft (could be), please see the link in xmasbaby0's post above about Identity Theft.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@Jrhybon wrote:

I have reason to believe someone has possibly claimed me. They hold no requirements to be able to claim me period. Im wondering is there a form i can file on myself where the IRS can pick up on it and investigate. Someone might have recieved more benefits for adding me.

READ the answer directly above your post.  There is nothing you can do to prevent someone from filing a tax return with you as a dependent.  The IRS will not provide you any information concerning the other tax return.

can you help i know the person who claimed me and i am on SSA i dont want my SSA CUT SHORT I WANT TO FILE A PAPER RETURN CLAIM AND CLAIM  MYSELF  CAN I DO THAT

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it might make a difference between deducting your standard deduction versus deducting Itemized Deductions. See the following TurboTax FAQ: How does the itemized deduction differ from the Standard Deduction?

"HelenC12 Employee Tax Expert"

Please see the TurboTax FAQ and the IRS link below, for assistance with someone claiming you as a dependent on their taxes:

DianeC958
Expert Alumni

You need to amend your tax return to show that you are not being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

How to Amend your 2019 tax return using TurboTax

Once you have made the change, print, sign, date and mail your tax returns in according to the instructions that print out with the tax returns.

Amended return cannot be efiled.

Once you mail the information in it will take 8-16 weeks for your return to process.

@raulcecenas

I didn't give anybody permission to claim me as a dependent on there tax returns. I can't file because of this.What do I do?

@lirish7 wrote:

I didn't give anybody permission to claim me as a dependent on there tax returns. I can't file because of this.What do I do?

You will have to print and mail your tax return as it cannot be e-filed since the IRS has already accepted a tax return with your name and Social Security number entered.  If you have a tax refund, the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

First of all---if someone has the "right" to claim you, they do not need your permission.  So---review the rules for whether you can be claimed---do those rules fit you?  Are you someone's qualifying child or qualifying relative?  

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

If you have been claimed by someone, rightly or incorrectly, you will not be able to e-file this year.  That means you have to print, sign and mail your own return, and let the IRS sort it out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

For the last 4 years my parents have the you claiming my daughter as a dependent and also myself as an adult disabled dependent but without any of our permission and no money has gone to my child he what can I do

Missy7

Need to know if someone claim me on their taxes without my permission with would me fraud. Had no ideal who use my information.

Can you help me with this,

Missy7

I’m on Social Sec

@Missy7 wrote:

Need to know if someone claim me on their taxes without my permission with would me fraud. Had no ideal who use my information.

Can you help me with this,

If this was not a parent who probably does not need any permission if they *can* claim you but a total unknown person, then you might be a victim of ID theft.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies