turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

I tried everything to see who and why. What can I do? I have kids and this is not the right time for this mess.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

If a dependent or you that you are entitled to claim has already been claimed by another taxpayer, your e-filed return will reject since the  SSN has already been used (either intentionally or in error such as a mistyped SSN).

Your only recourse is to file a correct tax return, claiming what you are entitled to claim, then print and mail the return.

The IRS will process both returns and pay any refunds. Shortly (within a year) the IRS will mail letters to both taxpayers.

Do not ignore the letters or you will loose.

Also see this about ID theft:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/taxpayer-guide-to-identity-theft

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@Blessed1979 The IRS will not tell you who claimed you or your children.  And, yes, this is a terrible time for such a mess.  But the only thing you can do when this occurs is print, sign and mail your own tax return that claims your children, and mail it in.  The IRS has to sort it out.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Unfortunately this will take a while because the IRS is not processing mailed returns at all until the processing centers reopen after things return to normal.  By then there will probably be a huge pile of mail to sort through so the normal 3-weeks might be several times that.

Also be sure to mail certified, with return receipt or other tracking service since that will be your only proof of filing, should the return get lost in the shuffle.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Dreade69

My son claimed me on his taxes without my knowledge and now I won't get stimulus check. How can I get check owed to me?

@Dreade69 wrote:

My son claimed me on his taxes without my knowledge and now I won't get stimulus check. How can I get check owed to me?

Your son claimed you?  Did it pay more then half of your total support and yiur gross income was less the  $4,200 (not counting Social Security).     If  not then he must amend to remove you.

You will nave to mail file your return.

Be aware that mail filed returns usually take about 3 weeks before they are entered into the IRS system, but the IRS has stopped all mail processing for  now so no telling how long.

if u lived with them and they provided more than half the support then they can claim them. They have to be related to them. 

That is what happen to me! I e-filed and got rejected because they said someone filed me as a dependent on their claim. So, do I print up the claim I already filed and mail it in to the IRS for them to fix it? I'm just asking because I have never had this happen before. What if it doesnt get fixed? And, do I send my W-2's in with the mailed in filings? 

@OluwaQueen wrote:

That is what happen to me! I e-filed and got rejected because they said someone filed me as a dependent on their claim. So, do I print up the claim I already filed and mail it in to the IRS for them to fix it? I'm just asking because I have never had this happen before. What if it doesnt get fixed? And, do I send my W-2's in with the mailed in filings? 

If you print for mailing then the cover sheet will tall you what to attach and where to send.   A copy of all W-2's and 1099's that have tax withholding must be attached of the IRS will return it unprocessed.

I suggest mailing with a tracking service for proof of mailing and delivery.

My sister claimed me on her refund. But didn't ask me. I lived in the back apt of her house how ever I payed rent and now she doesn't still whont give me any of that money. But did not give her consent to use my name. And kept all the money and stimulate check ether. What can I do. I filled a tax return and the Agent said I couldn't file because some one already filled using my name.

kc102141

did you ever find out what you could do? my brother in law is a non filer whos trying to get the stimulus check but found out someone claimed him therefore someone else might get that money.. trying to prove he shouldn't have been claimed by anyone else not sure where to start.

Jlo228

Someone claimed me n got rejected how do I file to get the stimulus check 

Truck12345
Returning Member

My girlfriend claimed me without permission I don't want to be claimed what can I do

@Truck12345 wrote:

My girlfriend claimed me without permission I don't want to be claimed what can I do

Sounds like you have more problems that just tax.

She could only claim you if all the following requirements are met.    If not, then she should amend to remove you as a dependent or she will be getting a big bill from the IRS for back tax, interest and penalties.

You can only mail file a correct tax return.

---Tests to be a Qualifying Relative (& Unrelated Persons)---
(Must meet ALL of these tests to be a dependent)

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2. The person either must be related to you, or must live with you all year (all 365 days - There are exceptions for temporary absences such as school, illness, business, vacation, military service) as a member of your household.

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,200 (tax-exempt income, such as certain social security benefits, is not included in gross income)

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support** for the year.

5. The person is not filing a joint return.

In any case, the person must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico

The above is simplified; see IRS Publication 501 for full information.
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2018_publink1000220939

** Worksheet for determining support
https://www.irs.gov/publications/p501#en_US_2019_publink1000226268

Truck12345
Returning Member

How to fix a error in your tax return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies